Topic: Spam and new registrations

Due to the sudden increase in spam, I've taken the very sad step of forcing all new users to be approved.
I'm sorry this will delay for real users. If you don't get a response, just email me.

I'll also be cleaning up the database of users who have been banned, or have registered and not posted for 2 years.
If I delete anybody by accident, please accept my apologies and re-sign up.

Cheers,
Mike

Re: Spam and new registrations

Yes, this was quite significant lately. It is really a pity.  sad

/WoS

3 (edited by mfilos 2015-11-19 13:03:42)

Why don't you implement a captcha or a simple human question on registration instead?
Check out also: http://punbb.informer.com/forums/post/132936/#p132936

The are all real people registering, paid to spam. The question / captcha will not stop them.

There's no point in keeping the banned users, but why delete people that haven't posted in 2 years?

There is an aweful lot of suspect spammers who have never revisited. Ok, will hold on that part of the clean up.

Year, no post for 2 years is probably not the best way to determine these guys. Some people are just listeners wink

Better to check for no login for some time. Isn't there is a add-on module doing this automatically? Accounts w/o login for some time get a mail, if the email is invalid or the people do not login within some time afterwards, their account will be banned (and can be deleted later on)...

/WoS

I've added a register check which pings a database of known spammers. It's stopped about 20 today alone.

If they aren't spamming then current users can stay put wink

And otherwise we'll swing the ban hammer wink

btw, I noticed the newer punbb version doesn't show the latest registered member anymore on the index page?

I assume it is this extension checking from stopforumspam.com?
I use this site to check manually suspicious IP adresses and emails, I like it alot...

/WoS

Yes, although I hacked it in a bit.
"btw, I noticed the newer punbb version doesn't show the latest registered member anymore on the index page?"
no, I thought the old one didn't either. I can put it back, hang on.

ok, happy?

haha, thanks smile

There are a lot of registrations getting blocked (correctly). If you register and don't receive an email then drop me a mail.
Thanks,
Mike

Hi.
I've received a report that somebody who wished to join got rejected. This is certainly not my intent - it must be a false positive. Please email me and I'll fix it!
Thank,
Mike

Again - if I reject your registration it's a false positive, please email me. Not intentional!

17 (edited by spotUP 2016-03-09 22:52:21)

I read somewhere that someone tried to register recently and failed as well. This board seems hard to get into! big_smile
Even harder than getting a board! tongue

I get around 20-30 registrations a day from spam bots. If the email and registration name are completely different I reject it - but please email me! I don't want to exclude any "real" people smile

Many sceners might have their handle in their mail address and their real name in the name field.

Hello to all

As usually I never post always read others' ideas they tend to be my wishes.
I think there are many in the forum who are like me, who only reads and writes something rarely.

Nice to hear smile Comment occasionally though, it makes me believe I'm not always talking to myself!

22 (edited by SirLance 2016-03-30 18:20:30)

Same here. I eagerly await my board and read the forums a couple of times a week during several years now. Den som väntar på något gott........ :-)

One of the big changes now is the ramping of assembly.
One problem when you are doing small runs of boards is the set up cost is high relative to the board cost. The other problem is you don't want to populate say 100 boards and then find out you have made a mistake in the PCB design and you have wasted all those components.

I've decided to actually throw away a lot of damaged / incomplete stuff now (well, I'll save it for spares) and focus on proper "mass" production and testing from the factory. It's the only way forward really.
/MikeJ

Could you add some exponential backoff algorithm to how many posts a new user can make?

I just banned the user and removed his posts.