Topic: Hardware availibility

Hi,

I'm getting a lot of emails asking why it's so hard to buy boards.

I've still got quite a large stock here (more than 50) which need some additional rework. All the regulators have been replaced so it's minor stuff, but takes time. I'm trying to get a big batch out this weekend.

I have also changed component supplier and assembler in China. I have realized I need to outsource more (I don't have time to do everything) so the new deal is they will source, assemble and test the boards. This will free me up to do fun stuff.

Price for the current batch remains the same, and I hope with larger volumes I can maintain the price for the next run.

I'm having several hundred of the Namco 28pin CPLD module (this is a replacement for arcade game custom chips) built now as a test run. This involves about five different Chinese companies, so it's a good way to work out the problems without too much risk.

/MikeJ

Re: Hardware availibility

Any News on daughterboard  Availability yet?

Would love a quick ETA on when one might expect shipments?
I don't mind it being at any date, but hoping it is "tomorrow" kinda wears you down after enough tomorrows...

Understood. Mail me Northway. Who have you ordered it from?

Daughterboard is still dependant on finding enough 060s. There are also issues sourcing the connectors. I'm working on it.

Mike 2 years ago I sourced a NOS Rev.6 060 that I got just for the daughterboard and it's waiting patiently ever since smile
I guess there will be an option With or Without CPU right?

yup

Im also still interested in daughterboard will it have rtc onboard with usb, microsd/compactflash slot has real hdd, goodbye 4gb limits

Also interested in the daughter board and would like to know final specs. Any sign up or pre-order lists going on right now for it?

We can work around the 4G limit on the SD card if we have to.
There is an SD card slot on the daughterboard, but this will require some driver code to be written for the Amiga.
RTC yup.

Major progress with hardware sourcing. I have new deals in place with an assembler and now test and shipping managed from Asia.

A test batch of several hundred Namco custom IC modules are going through the pipeline now to test the process smile

In theory at least, I can now say "make boards" and they appear working. That's the plan anyhow.

Does that also apply for the daughter board? (ie the connector sourcing problem)

It helps getting them made, but not with the connector issue yet. I'm still working on it.

13 (edited by spotUP 2016-03-24 14:28:59)

"Major progress with hardware sourcing. I have new deals in place with an assembler and now test and shipping managed from Asia."

FANTASTIQUE! MAGNIFIQUE! EXCELLENTE! SVINBRA! ASGÖTT!

Production \o/

These are the first boards which are entirely sourced, assembled and tested remotely.
Pipe cleaning the process for the FPGA boards smile
/Mike

Post's attachments

namco28.jpg
namco28.jpg 116.82 kb, 12 downloads since 2016-04-01 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

nice smile gj!

How long do you think it will be for the boards to be ready ? I am looking forward to buying a board, seems like a long wait list. smile Cant wait to buy one.

Not long - clearing the backlog at the moment.

I think I have seen just about every hardware fault possible now.

Latest one - PS/2 mouse not working, sometimes. Eventually tracked down to the connector (ok, obvious in retrospect). The clock pin was shorted to another internal pin - but only when the plug was inserted.

So will anyone NOT on backlog have an opportunity to get a board?
Definitely interested in one of these.

Yes of course. I think the best way is to start taking pre-orders (perhaps with deposit) and then build to order in batches.

I'm currently fully focussed on repairing, testing and shipping my remaining stock (you notice I've stopped playing with the cores at the moment). This should be done in the next two weeks. I need to cash to order the next boards!

If you want to start taking deposits for,orders let us (me) know and I will put down a deposit as soon as you guys are ready.

Any updates for your Daughter board Mike?

Foxbat wrote:

If you want to start taking deposits for,orders let us (me) know and I will put down a deposit as soon as you guys are ready.

Ditto.

Connectors arrived today!

Nice!  I need one for my developer daughter board!