Topic: Continue with SVHS/Composite?

Most of the demand currently is for the boards with SVHS / Composite output.

However, how many people actually use this now?

If I was to drop this option on next production run, would anybody mind?

DVI/HDMI + Analogue still remain obviously.
/MikeJ

Re: Continue with SVHS/Composite?

Personally I took the SVHS/Composite because I was unsure if the board would work with a RGB to Scart cable.

+ With the Jamma board we will be able to grab the RGB + Sync directly from here, correct?

3 (edited by huepper 2016-03-31 12:07:34)

I don't have a board but i don't need SVHS/Composite output.
For me VGA+DVI+HDMI is ok.

(VGA must be standard pinout for RGB-to-Scart i think)

I don't have it and as far as I can tell I don't need it as I have a vga to composite /svideo adapter (£5 on amazon)

I wonder if those adapters are active? If so, we can do without on the board.
Yes, the VGA is standard and the scart lead works fine.

Burn the SVSH/Composite!

BTW do you plan to remove the ps/2 connector as well and put USB ports instead for the HID?

Just thinking of building the non-SVHS variant only to save time and cost. If I do a respin I could replace the SVHS connector with USB. Must maintain back compatibility though - and some people want the PS/2 to connect Amiga keyboards.

ah yeah, true smile

Does 'composite' mean the option to use good old (C64) Commodore monitors?

To be honest, I never used anything except the VGA, but I like the idea to have the option wink

I think they have RGB in as well. Nobody really uses composite.
I've ordered some of those VGA to composite adapters, we'll see if they work. They are cheaper than the cost of adding the coder chip on the board....

Composite is such a bad video signal... RGB for the win.

12 (edited by data.fux 2016-03-31 15:33:28)

I don't need Composite or SVHS.
As long as I can pick up RGB, HSync and VSync I'm happy

The composite can come in handy when you put the monitor out of range, but this does the trick for me:  http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003U0PHC8 The price seems to have gone up a bit though...

I think they have RGB in as well. Nobody really uses composite.

most have composite and Y/C ... only some have digital RGB and SCART (the 1084 for example). For C64 Y/C is pretty much standard, composite sucks smile

Composite is making a huge comeback.  Everything from the CHIP $9 computer to new retro gaming stations are coming only with composite video.

I'll see how the adapter works. If it has the coder chip in it, it should work just as good as the on-board one.

Well composite is "good" for very cheap board and if you really don't care about image quality... Retro-gamer try to use the best RGB source as possible and mod their console to do so with a good display (PVM/Amiga/CPC/Atari monitor) or even buy stuff like xrgb to improve the image quality on modern display.

I really don't think it's a must have for the Replay considering it's more a "high-end" hardware and a not that cheap hardware.

JimDrew wrote:

Composite is making a huge comeback

Don't you mean "eyestrain is making a huge comeback?":p

Yeah, I guess... people are switching back to composite to get that old "tube monitor" feel.  In fact, tube monitors are making a big come back right now too!

20 (edited by gouky 2016-04-01 16:21:29)

People who use composite to get the old tube feeling should be banned smile (at least SVHS)

Well, it appears there are few million people that should be banned then.  The younger generation is starting to find the value in games that actually have some play-ability as opposed to great graphics with a boring theme.

Its not because its old that the picture need to sucks with ugly red leaking all around and a blurry image. Almost all the old console have a true rgb output (ok the nes didnt, shame on nintendo). Maybe it was not that popular in the us because no scart (if im correct) but composite just suck.

23 (edited by JimDrew 2016-04-02 23:11:32)

I think composite is great.  It's what we all grew up with here in the U.S. from the late 70's through the mid 90's.  Almost every stand-up arcade system used a glass tube composite monitor.

Huh? Arcade games almost use RGB through the Jamma connector. Maybe for the earlier one though.

All the analog CRTs were driven from RGB. Composite was only used as a cheap interconnect, and is pretty rubbish. The only use case I've seen is for driving old projectors.

Anyhow, the cable should arrive tomorrow and I'll check it out.