Topic: lack of activity

The lack of updates is depressing.  :-/  I hope Mike has not lost interest in this project.  I hope we continue to see the cores advanced - Amiga, C64, etc.  No activity at all lately.

How is the hardware availability coming?

Re: lack of activity

It's Northern Hemisphere summer, probably best to be patient.

Hi.
Not at all. I'm working on shipping hardware and the daughterboard.
There are about 20 new Replay users last month, and I assume things are working well as everything is quiet!
I'm taking some time off soon for Glastonbury music festival, then it's back to development work.

Glad to hear, thanks for the update!  I do not have Amiga RTG working but hope to tackle that soon.  Definitely hoping things continue to move forward!

They will, promise.

A lot of people are worried about the lack of "activity" here. I'm taking next week off to go to Glastonbury, but I'm working hard on clearing the backlog of boards and the daughterboard hardware.

Nextup is a website tidyup, code cleanup and release and then the new CPU.
/Mike

Thanks Mike!  Will be nice to see more user activity, I'm sure that will happen naturally once more hardware has shipped.  Once you clear out your existing boards will you be getting more manufactured?

I think most Amiga users still think your board is unobtainable.  I feel that your potential market there has shrunk with the momentum behind the Vampire product.  However, if you can ship your board in quantity before the standalone Vampire is close to release I think your sales will still be good.

The Vampire projects require real Amiga hardware and are strictly an accelerator for the Amiga.  The Replay has a MUCH wider appeal because of the various different cores that are available for it.  They are really Apple and Oranges.

The Vampire projects require real Amiga hardware and are strictly an accelerator for the Amiga.  The Replay has a MUCH wider appeal because of the various different cores that are available for it.  They are really Apple and Oranges.

Understood, Vampire is currently an accelerator only but they have stated plans to release a standalone system.  Not sure how long it would take for them to release a standalone product, but it has a lot of momentum, they are making steady progress, and there are lots of happy people within the community.  Many Amiga users interested in standalone FPGA hardware may decide to wait for the Vampire product, especially if they can't get an FPGA Arcade soon.

And yes, FPGA Arcade has other cores available but the most activity seems to be with the Amiga core.  Also, as I stated, I'm talking about Amiga users only.  Obviously users interested in other cores would have no interest in the Vampire - unless they of course develop other cores as well.

I'm really just stating the obvious.  I'm sure Mike knows that the sooner he gets production ramped up on the FPGA Arcade the more he will sell.  I think if it were released in quantity 4-5 years ago as originally thought it would have sold like hotcakes to Amiga users.

Does market share really matter here? And do we really need more progress on the Amiga Core? I'm pretty confident that Boards will be available in volume at some day, as we will have a 060 Board and a faster FPGA CPU. I don't see much more to be done on the Amiga Core. If Vampire sells more,  whatever, I can do the same stuff on Replay, so this is more like one community, not two fighting in terms of market share.

It would be different if Vampire would be a (better) multi-system board. Whenever we have mass production, a lot of people will get this board who would otherwise play with an MiST, and we will see more ported cores of other systems. This is way more potential than having the last 2% of Amiga features (which will come).

As you said, I think the more boards in people's hands the better because of core development.  I'd like to see the existing cores developed further and even more cores developed.  I'd also like to see the Amiga/68K core developed further to increase the speed even more (if Mike desires).  I think these things are more likely to happen the sooner the board ships in quantity.

I'd also like to see Mike get as many sales as possible so that he can get some reward for the incredible amount of work he has put into this so far.  Might give him more incentive to keep developing and perhaps release future boards.  smile

Mike what is the deal with daughterboards? Can we preorder somewhere or it's too early?

Mike can't even ship the main board in quantity. He seems to be doing component level repairs to Chinese made boards, which must be taking heaps of time. i asked for a board two years ago and havnt got one.

I don't mind, it was a fasination 2 years ago, but I've lost interest now I have a working A1200.

Unfortunately any new addon board seems like a dream until the main board ships in some quantity.

sorry mike was busy preparing my board, but finally I got one. thanks a lot mike - great job

now i will see if it was worth waiting for it, but it will for sure (;

are the specs for the daughterboard already known?

I'm back!

Slim, yes it's been a pain repairing the boards - but I can't afford to bin them all and build new ones!

How many defective ones do you have left to fix?

A kick starter to kick off production seems like an easy way to finance not only the main board, but also the extras.

About 40.  I'm reluctant to use kick starter now we are so close - I can build more any day really. Just trying to find time to finish the daughterboard first.

In my opinion if you can avoid kickstarter that's better, doing a kickstarter might add more pressure on you, so take your time :-) and if you need money then just open pre order i guess

My plan is to finish the layout and the new CPU stuff on "holiday" the next two weeks or so, then hit it hard after than.
I'm pretty much done with asteroids too.

Hello,

Any news ?

Yes, progress is being made. Switching to shipping boards over the weekend - back home tomorrow and have a stack which have passed basic test to sort out.

@Mikej : Thanks for the news.

I think you have a few hundred people waiting to get boards. When you get the last of those you have out the door are you going to take advance payment orders to get new boards built ?

Thanks
Andy

I don't need to , I have enough cash now to build more.