Topic: Status and roadmap

I've not been as active on here as usual - the day job has been a bit intense recently and I've been travelling to China again.

So, what's going on?

More of the replay boards on test, the aim is to get all remaining repaired stock out this month. There are about 40-50 boards in this batch.

I've had a number of meetings with suppliers in China, and parts for both the daughterboard and the next run of the main board are on order. Slight hickup with the main board as a couple of parts are obsolete which requires a slight PCB redesign. This is almost done. FPGA code will be 100% compatible between the new and old however.

To speed up prototyping, I'm investing with a partner in China in some assembly equipment. My contacts there already hold stock and test the quality of the parts before assembly. The idea is we can build a few boards quickly to test before we send all the parts to the factory.  It's quite expensive to set up for a production run, and the set up costs are the same to build one or several hundred. I don't want to end up with loads of scrap boards due to a PCB error, so this is a nice solution.

The daughterboard is complete PCB wise, but I'm having problems sourcing the Ethernet PHY and debating a quick change there.

We are also deep into the reverse engineering of the 68K at the moment, and relatively close to getting a cycle accurate model out if it. I'm much more interested in this than performance, although I expect when targeting this new (open source) design we will get similar performance to the Vampire core - certainly if we move to a spartan7 or similar on the daughter board.

Work continues on improving the accuracy of the Amiga core, and hopefully once the hardware is done I can focus on more cores again.

/Mike

Re: Status and roadmap

Thanks for the update, do you have any idea how long until you can start making/taking orders for the new fpgaarcade board ?

Thanks
Andrew

Once the current stock has cleared. I will be mid Q1 I expect. Priority is daughterboard at the moment.

Thanks for the update Mike. Is there any list to sign up for Daughterboard? And do I get it right, DB will not use 68060 anymore?

The daughterboard has a 68060 socket, but the plan is to allow it to be used without the processor fitted (using the softcore in the main board)

Yes Mike that all we know, Pampers perhaps wanted to ask (that's what I understand) if the new daughter boards will have factory-mounted 68k on it OR will be normally sold with an empty slot and each end-user will have to provide himself the uC by use of own means? Best regards and congratulations for the progress you have done so far!

It's a good question. Certainly the board will be available sans-processor.
I have some 68060s I can sell, and I'm working on sourcing tested parts in China.

I had a wisdom tooth out on Thursday so I've been taking a couple of days off. It hurt a lot!
Just about back together again now...

Any new updates on the daughterboard ?

ha ha yeah I did promise an update.
Um, no is the answer. It's pretty much complete and parts are ordered, but I haven't had time to finish the layout yet.
I chatted to the production people today who are building the atx power board at the moment as a test run, so almost ready to go.

I've been completely snowed under with work, but that's clearing a bit now.

11 (edited by hicks 2017-05-16 13:34:49)

Does the 68k daughter board still have Ethernet/USB on it?

Also, it's probably a little late for a request, but if you're still doing layout and if there's any space left over on the board would it be possible to expose any unused expansion pins to holes suitable for end users soldering on 2.54mm pitch header pins?

I know there's the p3/p7 on the main board, but I'm struggling to find anywhere to buy 2x17, 1.25mm pitch headers or sockets. Plus I'd rather make a mistake soldering to an expansion board than the main board and 2.54mm would suit regular jumper wires.

Either way, looking forward to getting USB access, it'll open up a range of new controller options smile

I'll see if there is any space left, it's getting tight. Yes, Ethernet + USB

oh, hicks I emailed you, let me know if you don't get it.

2mm pitch still easy to solder and take a little less space.