1 (edited by spotUP 2013-12-15 02:04:58)

Topic: Got some C64 FPGA links for you!

I thought i'd try to spice this place up a bit by posting some C64 related FPGA projects that are open source.

SID Player:
http://papilio.cc/index.php?n=Playground.C64SID
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … b8jZyfnujM

I don't think this one has filters implemented though.

Why not? A SID jukebox could be fun. smile

2 (edited by spotUP 2013-12-15 02:21:56)

Re: Got some C64 FPGA links for you!

Here is what looks like the vhdl sources for the c-one C64 implementation...
http://en.pudn.com/downloads169/sourcec … 32_en.html

i thought those were not released?

Hmm ok, this seems to be the official site, but i am unsure of the license, i guess it should be ok to
port it to the fpga arcade?
http://www.syntiac.com/fpga64.html

4 (edited by xeniter 2014-01-11 21:08:11)

i am working on free core:

More infos and source at http://sandbox64.at ( german page)

i use the T65 cpu and basic is working, i am now trying to getting sprites running

Any news on the c64 on Replay?

Maybe it would make sense to rip out the 1541 core from the vic-20 core and set it up as stand alone project. Might be useful to have a proper data source to load something to the core for testing?

It would also ensure it uses a more common interface to the cores and can be also more easily replaced by some other implementations (1571, 1581,"multi-drive",...?) as well...

/WoS

The 1571 has a WD177x controller, as does the 1581.  The 1581 only has that controller (no GCR support at all).

That's why I proposed separation and to have a common interface to allow easy replacing the implementation later on.

Its not only the file reader for the stream, it is also the whole clocking system, ICE-bus, ...
All this is really closely "interlinked" with sharing clocking etc. of the VIC-core "below" the Replay framework.

But I'd only start separating if there is another core to check if is generic enough - otherwise I'd spare the work and leave it like it is for now.

/WoS

8 (edited by darfpga 2014-03-12 21:35:18)

Releasing my own port of Peter Wendrich's FPGA64 for Terasic DE boards at ...removed... Maybe not useful, maybe not!

> just make it simple <

Great work, darfpga!
The way I understand the Readme, does the DE1 version need extra hardware to load D64 files? No way to load them from SD like foft's Atari core does?
Does the SID implementation include filters?

FPGA64 has a proprietary license. I would suggest not to copy code from there into the C64 core of the Replay as it is not compatible with Mike's license.

Johey wrote:

FPGA64 has a proprietary license. I would suggest not to copy code from there into the C64 core of the Replay as it is not compatible with Mike's license.

Yes you are absolutly right. It's also very clear in README file and source code file header.  I think that there is no risk that Peter's code will be used for Replay since Wolfgang start it from scratch.

BTW can you tell more about Mike's License you are speaking of ?

> just make it simple <

Vanfanel wrote:

does the DE1 version need extra hardware to load D64 files?

Yes it needs at least two extra hardware parts :

1) - a simple 3 ways level shifter adapter (74LS06) to translate fpga 3.3v to IEC 5.0v bidir.

2) - a 1541 drive or any IEC/SD replacement.

Vanfanel wrote:

No way to load them from SD like foft's Atari core does?

Nope, only Wolfgang's 1541 implementation can do this. It certainly requires 2 CPUs to be added to the design. One 6502 to reproduce the 1541 by itself with fast loader capabilities and one other CPU to deal with FAT format on the SD side.

Vanfanel wrote:

Does the SID implementation include filters?

Nope, as far as I understand that Mike is working on that part. He's started deep study of SID electronics.

> just make it simple <

darfpga wrote:

It's far from settled but here is a post from when it was discussed.

darfpga wrote:

Releasing my own port of Peter Wendrich's FPGA64 for Terasic DE boards at <-->.
Maybe not useful, maybe not!

Not sure if it is a good idea to publish it: the license strictly says something like "personal educational use", "no upload" and "no distribution"(!)

Johey wrote:

I implement everything from scratch, using a lot of documentation available, a real C64 and maybe VICE to run some examples with the debugger (more to check out some C64 software than its hardware). I won't even look at the FPGA-64 code to check out its implementation (it is also not well commented and quite complicated coded for my taste, so not really something to learn from). This prevents any license conflicts.

The only HDL code re-used is the t65 from opencores (or basically from the VIC-20, which includes some fixes from Mike and me) and the CIA from the Amiga/Minimig. But as soon as the basic setup is working somehow, I will throw this CIA Verilog code away as well and re-code it in a simpler and more compatible way to the real IC (so the Verilog code will be never relased).

darfpga wrote:
Vanfanel wrote:

No way to load them from SD like foft's Atari core does?

Nope, only Wolfgang's 1541 implementation can do this. It certainly requires 2 CPUs to be added to the design. One 6502 to reproduce the 1541 by itself with fast loader capabilities and one other CPU to deal with FAT format on the SD side.

A basic 1541 with "full HW" setup is already in place, supports D64 files you can select via Replay OSD and works nicely with the VIC-20 already. It was also re-coded from scratch, just re-used some VIC-20 components (T65 and 6522).

Given some time I'll check the fastloader capability with Jiffy in this VIC-20<->1541 setup (basically the sufficient compatibility of the I/O components of each core), as soon as I ordered the ROMs and have some time to check it out. Later it will be re-used for the C-64, no further changes needed on this part (except further file support and possible fixes for C-64 fast loaders on some details in the behaviour).

Johey wrote:
darfpga wrote:

It's far from settled but here is a post from when it was discussed.

The thread is about the Replay library only  - it is still Mikes decision how he want to handle his code, I'd say.

The cores may use other licenses, so by definition these are individually settled by the authors and (possible) contributors, I hope...  cool

/WoS

I know you're writing everything yourself. Just wanted to point out the dangers of the FPGA64 license. It's open source, but not free.

Oh yes, the license mentioned is for the library. That's correct. You're free to do the C64 core to whatever license you may... I'm just hoping you pick a good one. wink

Wouldn't it be awesome if all (retro) parts of the C64 and Amiga core the cores had the same license..

wolfgang wrote:

Not sure if it is a good idea to publish it: the license strictly says something like "personal educational use", "no upload" and "no distribution"(!)

Ok, thank you. File has been removed. Although I got personal 'authorization' from Peter to share on my web site a new top level and sof binary for the FPGA64_027 release, I think it is better to remove it.

> just make it simple <

I've also got permission to re-use his older code, but I agree it's best to avoid it completely with the confusing license.
It's sad, it's great code.
/MikeJ

wolfgang wrote:

The thread is about the Replay library only  - it is still Mikes decision how he want to handle his code, I'd say.

The cores may use other licenses, so by definition these are individually settled by the authors and (possible) contributors, I hope...  cool

Absolutely, your code, your rules.
/MikeJ