Topic: MISC

I'll collect/move here any posts which do not really fit to the other topics (as I just don't want to simply delete it, as it might be still valuable information)...

/WoS

Re: MISC

what is the best FPGA for C64 ? Chameleon Board ?

drfloyd wrote:

what is the best FPGA for C64 ? Chameleon Board ?

Dr. Floyd, no offence, but I think you have not realized what this here is all about. This forum is about the FPGA ARCADE Replay board and this section is about the C64 core on the Replay board.

In your case, you may want to join a forum like lemon64 or so...
http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic. … f7418a8cb0

/WoS

Ok, I will speak only about FPGA Arcade. Sorry.

Hoping the ZIF socket will arrive this week, then I can start the SID testing wink

Edit - arrived!

MikeJ wrote:

Hoping the ZIF socket will arrive this week, then I can start the SID testing wink

Edit - arrived!

I assume you use the development expansion board with the level shifters on, right?

Do you use a generic setup with jumpers or patch wires or do you solder directly all connections?

Currently I use the stand-alone FDIL setup, but when most things work there I'd like to set up something similar for the fine-tuning task with the rest of the core while running some progs which showed issues. But I have only the one board you gave me and I'd like to use it for several ICs to check (VIC, CIA, CPU, ...) w/o re-soldering every time. Not sure if using patch cables or so are good enough not to introduce other problems like reflections, crosstalk, ... (especially as there are also these level shifters in between as well) - any proposals/hints for me, Mike?

The dev-board you gave me I just use as plain "break-out" setup for my external LA (at least 36 lines of it, the others would be still free to use).

/WoS

I've got the same expansion card I sent you, with berg sticks on the io pins (after the level shifer). I use small jumper wires.
As the board has a ground plane, using jumpers and keeping them close to the board seems to work fine.
/Mike

Thanks, good to know - will try this...

Have not seen any difference in using aux_io or io pins, is there anything to consider when connecting something (maybe for compatibility reasons / avoid collisions / ...  )?

/WoS

wolfgang wrote:

difference in using aux_io or io pins, is there anything to consider when connecting something (maybe for compatibility reasons / avoid collisions / ...  )?

Not really. If I remember correctly the IO pins wired to the 68K on the original test daughterboard, and the AUX pins were spare. A few of the AUX pins are wired to several connectors (Joystick / patch panel etc).

Another thought: maybe we should align on the pinout to use for the external IC setup (especially common stuff like A/D bus etc.), then I can put it into the core for now to be used for debugging? Or maybe you did this already, then I can use it? Currently I have not soldered anything...

Btw: moved away from the compatibility thread, didn't really fit there... wink

/WoS

As I've got a patch board I just wire it up as I feel like for that particular test - no standard really ..

Ok, I'll set something up...

/WoS