Topic: Preparing an .HDF file

I would like to prepare an .HDF using WinUAE so when I get my FPGA-Arcade I will be setup ready to go. When creating the .HDF file, do I have to select any particular options in WinUAE so that it works with the FPGA board? Thank you!

ɃºïȠǥ!

Re: Preparing an .HDF file

Yes, you need to setup a partition with the Rigid Disk Block (RDB) option.  Mount that partition and then use HDToolBox to partition the virtual drive.  Typically, you make the first partition bootable and install Workbench on that partition.

Thanks for your answer Jim. I have already created the .HDF and installed WB on it (well I just copied all the files from my real A1200 HDD). Do I have to restart from scratch or should I can make it bootable from HDToolBox without losing the content?

Thanks smile

ɃºïȠǥ!

4 (edited by JimDrew 2014-09-23 19:27:52)

You can't use a standard "hardfile" formatted as AmigaDOS with Replay's Amiga core.  It *must* have been setup with the RDB structure, and partitioned with HDToolBox.  On the Amiga, hardfiles were just a single file that contained the partition data, and the mountlist or DOSDriver was used to tell AmigaDOS the partition info.   Replay handles hardfiles that are setup to look just like a real hard drive with all of the partitioning information contained in the space known as the Rigid Disk Block.  UAE has the option of setting up a virtual hard drive using a file, which they call a hardfile.  That is a bit confusing, because when I created hardfiles for the Amiga they never contained any partitioning info.  This allowed me to grow/shrink the file size without having to repartition the data.

So, your best bet really would be to create a new virtual hard drive (hardfile), partition it, and then simply copy all of the files on your existing .HDF over to the new virtual drive.

Thanks a lot, will make a new one then smile

ɃºïȠǥ!

I am going to make some ready to use hardfiles (of various sizes) with a RDB already setup.  You could use this with the Amiga core and boot from a Workbench disk image and run HDToolBox, partition the hardfile the way you want, and then install Workbench.  Because the file would be empty, even hardfiles that were hundreds of megs would compress to a very tiny size for downloading.

Thanks! Awesome smile I would appreciate if you could make one the maximum possible size as permitted by FAT32 smile (I guess around 4GB).

ɃºïȠǥ!

I experimented a bit.  A 300MB hardfile compresses to about 60K with 7zip.

Lol that's great smile

ɃºïȠǥ!

I will be supporting images without RDB as well, by "making one up",

Awesome, thanks. By the way, sent you an email for the FPGA invoice. Thanks!

ɃºïȠǥ!

Hi Everblue,

You can have a look at our HDF creation guide HERE

Thanks, Lionel and Laurent
Amedia Computer

Amedia Computer France
Site : [url]http://amiga.amedia-computer.com[/url]
Mail : laurent@amedia-computer.com

Since I have read in other threads and posts that some users here have installed and are running WB 3.9, is it possible to share a link with a guide how to do it in the Amiga core of the FPGA? I have the original CD and an ISO image, with the respective serial number.

FPGA Arcade in miniITX case, SAM460EX @1.15GHz, 2GB Memory, AOS4.1 FE, Radeon HD XFX R7 gfx card with Southern Islands. MorphOS 3.9 in Mac Mini G4 1.5GHz. Acer Aspire One with AROS Icaros Desktop 2.0.3

@AmigaOS:
You install it on FPGA Arcade as you install it on WinUAE or any Classic Amiga.

You need to copy all the CD on an empty bootable HDF file named DH0, in a special drawer caaled 'OS3.9CD' for example.

After downloading the Classic Workbench 3.9 HDF file, you have to add one assign in the startup-sequence of this HDF file, in order pointing the CD to the drawer 'OS3.9CD'.

After that, you start the modified Classic Workbench 3.9 HDF file.

N.B. : the two HDF files (DH0 and Classic Workbench 3.9) must be present at the installation.

After finishing installation, you should remove the Classic Workbench 3.9 HDF file for booting on your new one.

N.B. : you may have to modify the startup-sequence from the new installation with removing the patching of the scsi.device, in order to avoid a guru meditation.

Thanks, Laurent and Franck
Amedia Computer

Amedia Computer France
Site : [url]http://amiga.amedia-computer.com[/url]
Mail : laurent@amedia-computer.com

Is there a nice procedure how to inject files from pc info the hdf file?

16 (edited by JimDrew 2015-09-09 22:52:49)

I use Total Commander with the .adf/.hdf plug-in.  I just copy PC files directly to a hardfile.

Thanks. Guess I will have lots of fun with Whdload and Total Commander this weekend wink

Is there something special I have to take care of? I have this 2 hdf-file setup (bootable/non-bootable) as suggested by Faranheit. Total commander with plugin says one hdf file is corrupted and hangs while opening the other.

ok, i found a way using winuae wink

Hmm... I have never seen an issue with Total Commander unless the file system is corrupted, then the hardfile will not open.  You might run Amiback Tools or something similar on your partition to check to see if the hardfile is corrupted.

This is strange, because I did a backup of the sdcard as I got it from amedia, and I have these problems also with the untouched files.

Do I have the right plugin? I got it from
>http://www.coderbug.rs/projects/amigadx

I also tried 64&32 bit. (changing both, tc and the plugin)

I will investigate further and validate the hd at weekend.

JimDrew wrote:

I use Total Commander with the .adf/.hdf plug-in.  I just copy PC files directly to a hardfile.

@JimDrew - Where do I find this Total Commander with the .adf/.hdf plug-in for download? Is is a Windows program?

FPGA Arcade in miniITX case, SAM460EX @1.15GHz, 2GB Memory, AOS4.1 FE, Radeon HD XFX R7 gfx card with Southern Islands. MorphOS 3.9 in Mac Mini G4 1.5GHz. Acer Aspire One with AROS Icaros Desktop 2.0.3

Yes, it is Windows app.  It's also available for a few other OS's.  See here: http://ghisler.com/download.htm

This is my all time favorite Windows app.  It's alot like the original Directory Opus (which I love).  I use it every single day for moving, reading, writing, deleting, etc. PC files.  It has FTP support, packer support, etc.  It also has plug-ins (like the .adf/.hdf plug-in) that lets you do just about any type of manipulation on any type of file and format.

... oh, and it's free!

Apparently, I found out what went wrong:
Seems that the Total Commander plugin does not like hdf files which are only "fast" formatted.
I did a full, slow format on a newly created boot hd file and now I can open it.
Now I can have a nice coffee or two until the 4gig file is fully formatted wink

Make sure you have the patch for the Amiga OS that allows a hard drive/hard file this size.   The Amiga can't handle 4GB or larger partitions without patching the file system.