Topic: Server move to support SVN

Hi all,
The current hosting provider is unable to provide a public SVN mirror, and my servers will not able to cope.
So, I have signed up for a "proper" hosted machine.
It will take me some time to set up the server, then I'll move this forum and website across.

/Mike

Re: Server move to support SVN

Ok, we are running on the new server. Some logging in problems which I've worked around. You may need to clear history if you can't log in. When the domain transfer is complete things should settle down (it's currently forwarded).
/MikeJ

Please let me know if the forum feels any slower/faster than before b.t.w

Mike, I don't see a difference either way. Judging this from my wifi setup.

Thanks. It feels much less responsive to me at the moment, I've mailed arvixe for comment.
(edit: it could be due to the forwarding actually, double bounce happing until the domain is fully transferred)

I guess the domain transfer is why we get redirected to http://www.aardvark.arvixe.com/~takasa/punbb.

Also the forwarding doesn't explain why using the direct link above is very slow, especially on the main forum index page

Correct. The direct link is to fpgaarcade.com/punbb so it's still redirected.
I'm running tests but I'm not happy. It's a shame as the SVN server is set up here.
I have a 60 day money back, so we have so time to play.
/Mike

I'm getting about 10 seconds for the forum to come up. I have sent arvixe a complaint and we will see what they say, but it's fair to say I am not impressed currently.

Post's attachments

loadtime.gif
loadtime.gif 19.46 kb, 1 downloads since 2015-02-20 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Yep, that's about the same speed for me. Strangely other pages are far faster so it's almost like its the database backend that has the bottleneck

right, this is no good at all, seeing 12-18seconds GET times now.
They have 24 hours to sort it, or we are moving back. I'm exploring other options now for web/svn hosting.
night all!
/MikeJ

11 (edited by JimDrew 2015-02-22 00:07:28)

Well, for me, it's 10 times faster than it use to be!  It's interesting that all of my files in the Amiga core were deleted and then added.

yeah, it's hosted in the US now - I asked for Europe. At the moment it's pretty snappy as you lot are asleep.
Regarding the Amiga core, when we rename a file under SVN it is actually deleted and renamed. I am doing a big tidyup and all the files went lower case.

The forum feels pretty fast, as it was. At least as long as I click on the "new posts" link.

after a login hickup, all is fine smile

MikeJ: I can help you with hosting. If interested, get in touch.

16 (edited by WoS 2015-02-27 18:11:36)

The response of the new server seems to be strongly dependent on the time of day when I try to access the forum.

E.g. when creating a post - or even just clicking on "active topics" it can take up to 15...20 sec (!) to see the new page, but at least 3...5 sec. Exactly now I have this problem here. This is not really acceptable for a web page and never happened before with your old one.

It is definitely not the network connection or bandwidth itself. As soon as it is connected the data transfer is pretty fast and stable. Also ping times are rather low and constant.

I would say the problem is the response of the server itself, it seems to be quite underpowered (or better: sometimes it is simply in an overload condition).

Edit: may be of interest, the server provides a speed test: http://stats.aardvark.arvixe.com/speed/ 
As mentioned, when I do the test several times the speed results are stable: down/up 3.3/0.5Mbps (still far away from my bandwidth I've got here, but ok I'd say for a connection over the lake). But it always takes quite some time until the up/download actually starts.

/WoS

Got the proof, try yourself. It tests from different locations.
http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/ejoWv2/ … /index.php

Here a test with >5 sec. Another test gave 1/2 sec. A third test gave >20 sec (!!!).

The graph shows it is the delay of the server itself (yellow=the browser just waits for data) , it takes quite often (much) too long to response. (compressed snapshots below)

Post's attachments

SrvTest_5s_20s.png 194.23 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

/WoS

18 (edited by JimDrew 2015-02-27 18:51:15)

Pages, post editing, etc. are instant for me... super fast compared to the original server!  That speed test gave me:  2.64 Mbps download, 583.27 kbps upload.  So, if you are seeing an issue then it would be due to the ISP routing.

I tried that ping test I get over 20 seconds every time, but I don't see any delays in the website itself.  Odd.  Interesting to test my server though... it's located only 200 miles away I get 480ms just about every time.

19 (edited by WoS 2015-02-27 19:29:34)

Happy to hear it is fast enough for you now...   

As you have nearly the same up/down bandwidth like me, it proofs the server bandwidth is in general not really good (assuming your line can do faster as well). But as long the focus is not downloading/uploading large files, it is ok.

As you can (hopefully) see, I tried to come to my conclusions based on independent test sites and locations. So it is not only me having the problem. Thus, it hardly can be only my ISP, right ?  wink

Maybe I should also try to state what I would consider slow: I checked that as well with some sites and I'd say if the response of a web page is  >1...2 sec I would consider it as slow. >5 sec is at the limit (like a bad connection on the smartphone) - much slower and I usually give up. But of course this is totally subjective.

By the way: my ping times to the server are constant ~45ms. So this is quite ok as well (not really fast, but ok - like the bandwidth). What is left in the chain is the server itself.

Edit: at the moment it seems to be fast(er) again (down to 5 sec response). There is definitely a time dependency involved as well - which I would say is the varying server load.

/WoS

Sorry, have to come back to this: just tried again to post - it is "painfully slow" (this time in a range of 15...25 sec).  sad
Bandwidth and ping time didn't change at all.

Does not really make sense/fun that way for me, the hosting people need to do something and put some more blades in their racks. Or should use a "real" webserver hardware instead of an Raspberry-Pi (as it feels quite the same) - who knows...  big_smile

This time I got also >18sec tested from an US site...

I found an other test-site, http://www.websitepulse.com/help/tools.php - similar results. Very often it is really fast (<2 sec) especially if selecing NY, sometimes it is very slow...

Post's attachments

web_speed.png
web_speed.png 88.96 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

/WoS

Another one: https://www.dotcom-tools.com/web-server … -test.aspx
I also have a comparison from the same test site of this forum server with my web site (my hoster is hosteurope).

This is quite a noticeable performance difference, I'd say - in absolute numbers and in variations "0s to 3s" versus "5s to 40s", this also shows it does not come from the wire between the continents (spreads are also within US very large) but shows even more that it seems to be more the "strange" response behaviour of the server...

Post's attachments

speeds_arvixe_hosteurope.png
speeds_arvixe_hosteurope.png 165.23 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

/WoS

Oh, I also tested the old forum host. Yes it is not really fast, but very constant ("5s to 7s") and in most cases (significantly) faster than the actual server - again at least at the time of the test. So one has to be really lucky to see an improvement - which is still possible, though. Or one just do not look close enough, or ones browser/computer is the bottleneck thus the delay of the server does not matter,... wink

Even if I would not trust the absolute numbers as it is unclear how they are measured, it can be assumed in all cases the measurements are the same - so in relation the comparison of the three hosts is valid.
And it definitely fits to my observation with my browser, wget, ... at home (also as relative comparison)...

So Mike - if you get the services for free, why not. If not, hmmm....

Post's attachments

forum_old.PNG
forum_old.PNG 68.47 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

/WoS

My internet speed is 15Mbps download, 2Mbps upload.

24 (edited by WoS 2015-02-28 19:10:25)

I thought so, mine is similar. I tried again the speed test, exactly the same dl/ul numbers. Maybe someone else can also try this test, if the values are in the same ballpark, it should proof that the approx. 3Mbps/0.5Mbps bandwidth comes from the server. This could mean they limit the bandwidth on purpose per connection. :-(

Today the forum access "feels" better than yesterday. Just tested again with the above web tool and the output for the tests around the world also shows that the response time is between "10s to 15s" and another time between "5s to 8s".

So it is still somewhat slower than the old host for most locations (the old one is also slightly faster today), but this difference quite negligible and in the acceptable range most of the time. Also the spread is quite low today.

As it is weekend, I'd guess they host a lot of business customers not working today, so the servers can handle all requests with a proper latency. Another possibility is of course the speed limit comes from the database connection or database server in the background where punbb has to fetch its data.

Let's see if it is even better on Sunday and especially how it looks then on Monday again...

Edit: interesting, I have a 4G Android tablet (Nexus 7 LTE 2014) actually connected via HSPA (= different ISP) and tried the test, here I get 2.75Mbps down and 2.07Mbps up speed, still the approx. 3Mbps is all I can get (from this server).

/WoS

2am US time and I am getting 400ms to 600ms test times.