Topic: paddles

I guess, paddles would not just work out of the box, right?
As far as I know there is only one notable game which would benefit greatly (Arkanoid), so this has no priority at all.
But, nevertheless, I loved playing it wink

Re: paddles

Yes, initially I thought it could work (I posted this somehwere here some time ago). Meanwhile I checked out more closely.

Paddles and some CBM mice require a open-drain or tristate-able output there to discharge the line and measure the slope (--> "fixed C" + "variable R").
On the Replay HW this pins on the connector the paddles use are connected to input-only digital FPGA pins and thus this devices will never work on the Replay "as is" (means w/o hardware hack or an expansion board or whatever).

See also in the CRT support thread: http://www.fpgaarcade.com/punbb/viewtop … 4536#p4536
Quite some old 4k/8k cartridges require them, so as these CRT work now on the C64 I am interested to find a solution.

What I am planning/working on is to emulate the paddles (and old CBM mice) using the joysticks (or PS/2 mice).

/WoS

There is one IO pin on the joystick port, maybe this can be bridged across to the required inputs with a 9pin to 9pin adapter?

For paddles only, this output would require to discharge the two lines via two transistors or at least two Schottky diodes to decouple them (they must/can charge with different slopes, on a real setup they would also have separate periods).

An adapter from both 9pin ports to one 9pin "paddle port" could work as well, this should also work for mice.

I can try these two variants - at least to learn if it would work in principle...

It would be much easier to use the auxio pins from the expansion pins on the 2.54mm grid on the other side of the board and solder a separate 9pin connector from there for paddles. One could even solder a wire bridge from that connector to the point "behind" the protection resistor of the two pins from the 9-pin connectors (= 4 bridge wires) on the board. Doing that, the capacitor values could be also changed to match the C64/VIC-20 circuitry more closely (so it would also provide a similar charge/discharge timing).

But this will be a solution not suitable for everyone, so I currently focus on an emulation (based on usual input devices everyone should have at home).

/WoS