Topic: 68060 daughterboard

Time for a new thread.

Layout is proceeding nicely. The design is frozen and placement is nearly complete.

The 68060 daughterboard fits on the current Replay board. It may Not fit on the proposed Spatan7 new base board (mainly mechanical issues), but we'll modify it quickly so it does.

Features

68060 socket with variable vcore.
Variable speed 4-pin fan driver controlled by CPU temperature.
128MBytes of local FAST memory.
RTC with battery backup.
Audio input.
USB host.
Ethernet.
SD Card directly connected to FPGA for faster mass storage.
Midi interface header.
Floppy disk connector (!).
Extra LED drivers.

/Mike

Re: 68060 daughterboard

Amazing news. The floppy connector, audio in and MIDI are superb additions.

At which clock speed will run the CPU by default? Will it be possible to change its clock speed?

Yes, the CPU clock speed will be configurable.

Current layout. Fully placed and partially routed.

Post's attachments

68060_layout1.gif 137.4 kb, 1 downloads since 2017-09-04 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

And would this work even without a 68060 in the cpu socket? As an I/O expander (and possibly memory too?)?

This is the plan

Congratulations for such amazing piece of hardware. In my point of view it will overcome any classic Amiga configuration up to date smile

8 (edited by Myshoe 2017-09-04 19:54:14)

I had hopes you might add a floppy connector when you didn't reply to my post in the floppy add-on thread but it was probably just wishful thinking on my part, I think it's the icing on the cake for those wanting to throw your board in an old MATX case (like I'm planning) and get as close to a real Amiga experience as possible.

Can you not get Amedia to take pre-orders for the current revision board and daughterboard as a bundle? that way you'll know how many of the current version boards you need to build and then you can move straight onto the new revision. I'd be happy to pre-order and wait.

I would be surprised if people want to buy the current base board if there is a new one coming soon? Although I guess it's 6 months away from being debugged and stable. Ok, I'll ask once we have the daughterboard proto running.

Hi Mike, since I have a current base board I am also looking forward anxoiusly to get the daughterboard together with 060 on it, so please remember me. Regarding the floppy disk connector you mean it will be possible to configure this board to read and write disks from standard INTERNAL floppy disk drive for A500 or any other Amiga model, or?
Thanks for a layout pic, could you please put also a real pic of this board (a proto, once you have it already) or at least a visualization? I would like to get an initial feeling;) Cheers!

Yes, it should be possible to use a normal PC floppy as well.
I'm going to do a mockup to check the layout, I'll post pics of that before I get the board made.
/Mike

Very nice, can't wait to get one for my board.

MikeJ wrote:

I would be surprised if people want to buy the current base board if there is a new one coming soon? Although I guess it's 6 months away from being debugged and stable.

I'm not surprised at all. Most of these 'coming soon' Amiga hardware devices actually never comes. Or are available years after initially announced date, the production runs are far too small to fulfill the market needs, etc. And estimated 6 months till being available/useable is not really that soon.

Some pictures of the mock up  (used to check the layout).

Post's attachments

20170911_203707.jpg 4.52 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

20170911_204059.jpg 4.72 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

20170911_204734.jpg 4.16 mb, 1 downloads since 2017-09-11 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

15 (edited by Myshoe 2017-09-11 20:44:05)

Looking good what's the ETA for availability? are you still considering a run of old boards or should I be scrambling to source a second hand version? I prefer to buy new usually but if it's my only option I might be tempted rather than waiting for the new revisions.

Great job, I really like it. Can't wait to get one.

By the way, regarding using a floppy drive you wrote:

MikeJ wrote:

Yes, it should be possible to use a normal PC floppy as well.
/Mike

I read once (I think on eab...) that it is necessary to slightly modify a standard PC floppy drive so that it reads and writes 2DD disks, and not all PC floppy brands let themselves re-do this way.  So I ask as a layman: does it make sense that I buy an original Amiga floppy drive for my daughterboard or I really use an old PC floppy I also have. I just mean what is more comfortable and less complicated;) (do both solutions give the same results in the end?)

Cheers!

Nope you will be able to use a standard pc floppy drive or an amiga one.

I'm using a standard pc floppy drive and works like a charm with the replay.

Yeah we can handle the differences in the interface. We will probably need an OSD setting for Amiga drives actually. Goucky will fix this wink

I hope to get the board out to the PCB manufacture this week. Then it will take 2-3 weeks before I have a built one to test.
If it works, we'll make more immediately.

I still don't know about making new baseboards. I'll start another thread to measure interest.

Since this has a variable vcore, do you think that an 040 adapter socket could be easily used?  I would much rather use a 40MHz 040 over 100MHz 060... they are faster for Mac emulation.

no, due to 5v I/O.
We'll get a decent 040 softcore running soon

Looking good! I still like to use real floppies so having that ability is a plus.

Looking forward to getting a hold of one of these for the USB smile

MikeJ wrote:

no, due to 5v I/O.
We'll get a decent 040 softcore running soon

OK, so an 060->040 adapter board should work?

mmm I'm not sure. I use a lot of the 060 signals. It might need a tweak of the FPGA core, but it's defo doable.