1 (edited by SteveM 2017-07-30 21:41:35)

Topic: Upgraded to latest ARM firmware now C64 doesn't work

I was wondering if anyone has an issue with the C64 not working after the upgrading to the latest ARM firmware?

I chose the NTSC 60 ini and updated successfully and then hit R to reboot. My board never came back on of course, I had to power cycle it.

When I tried the C64 again, the screen comes up (purple with the border) but no text ever appears and there is red letters stating it can't run the /C64/ core or something to that effect.

I do have a monitor capable of PAL 50 Hz and I was using the C64 in that mode just fine before the update.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Re: Upgraded to latest ARM firmware now C64 doesn't work

Well, I flashed the 2016 back again and now my C64 core works fine just like it used to.

Right, well this shows we need to improve our release testing. I'm away until Friday, but we'll take a look asap.
It's a bit of a surprise as there should be no firmware changes really which effect the core functionality.

I have noticed that R to reboot doesn't work and I'll look into that as well. Maybe we should just say "Please power cycle" instead.

What's the exact error message you get? Can you see the RS232 log?
Also, double check the ini file against the latest one in the C64 release.

I intend to rebuild and update the C64 core on my return

Hi Mike,

Yeah, sorry, I didn't really look into it much further. Maybe I'll try the latest firmware again and hook up to the console.

The C64 version I'm using is the the 13Aug2016, however, when you unzip the file it says 07Nov15.

I'm using the stock 50p DVI VGA ini file as well, I didn't make any changes to it.

Thanks.

5 (edited by SteveM 2017-07-31 22:42:56)

Mike, I flashed the 2017 Arm update again and tried my C64 core with the console connected.

I get the usual INFO lines:

INFO: Replay/c64 (c) 2015 W.S.
INFO: -Keyboard in lower PS/2 prt-
ERR: Could not open \C64\
WARN: Error during core boot
WARN: Check the .ini file
WARN: ROM upload to FPGA failed
ERR: Execution stopped at INI line 64
WARN: Error during core boot
WARN: Check the .ini file

As I said, I didn't make any changes to the ini file from the C64 other than change the name to C64.ini and it works fine with the previous Arm firmware.

Line 64 of my C64 .ini file appears to be related to the 1541 ROM file, well one of them.

Right, well there was a bit (ok lot) of re-factoring going on, and as a result the ROM upload for the C64 got broken.
Erique has made a fix and is doing (some) testing smile
You can grab the update from SVN directly, or there will be a release shortly.

Thanks Mike. I can wait for the release.

Hello MikeJ , who is the update from SVN ?

I have no clou who i can download the C64 FIX

Regards

Try SVN http://svn.fpgaarcade.com/viewvc/ReplayPub/ use the username and password on this page.
svn.fpgaarcade.com in the subfolders there you should get updates.
Note. The main releases should still be updated in this area.  http://svn.fpgaarcade.com/release/

yeah the one from SVN will be fine. We are doing a couple of minor updates so expect a release in the next day or so.

Hello , have one off you the C64 core with the fix compiled and make Public her on this Tread to Download ?

Thank you and Regards Futuremen123

I think it's the arm firmware which is at issue, not the core.
I'm away travelling for a few days, but I'll try an copy the latest over to the release area.

I think it's the arm firmware which is at issue, not the core.
I'm away travelling for a few days, but I'll try an copy the latest over to the release area.
update - just tried to build and there was an issue. I'll look at is asap, sorry.