Re: daughter-board questions?

Any chance the daughterboard will have an internal USB connector that could support a USB keyboard?

I'm playing with this at the moment. Currently I have two usb connectors and one internal. Is this preferable to three external connectors?

But those are not for the replay HID right? I mean they are intended to be use by the core?

One internal would be good as most of the case got a front usb connector.

Yes you are correct, the USB on the daughterboard would need an Amiga (for example) driver to work as an Amiga keyboard, and would not drive the OSD etc.

>I'm playing with this at the moment. Currently I have two usb connectors and one internal. Is this preferable to three external >connectors?

MM ... yes, an internal USB header, would be great, leaving TWO USB on the daughterboard, but is there a way to have two usb internal ie: 2x usb headers instead of 1, this would make total of 4 usb. As gouky said, most cases have twin cable setups on atx boxes.
So instead of 3 ext and 1 internal, Better to go twin header internal if possible and two fixed as you have them.
(Again i dont know if this is practical or possible, but it makes a lot more connectable machine for cases etc and devices etc too.)

There are 3 USB ports on the controller chip. It's certainly possible to have a header and an external connector, but not to use both at the same time.

I would definitely like to see at least 1 internal header.  smile

ok

84 (edited by grandalf 2017-03-14 03:06:28)

Just on cpu`s again, it seams over and over ppl who used it, i did not unfortunately test an 040 or 060, only ever 030 in 3000 no accelerators either at the time, but apparently they tell me the two massive differences that people will notice, is that the 040 ran hot without a fan and heatsink the 060 did not or minimal, (so will it have a heatsink or and fan on mikes model 060 anyways(daughterboard), and two, the fpu is way quicker? Some say massively. I remember jim drew said he had programmed both in the past. Im just thinking about height in cases, mind u most id use, would have heaps of room? And i guess an internal fan header pins to go with it then also? or can it work just as it is?

(MM, after reading this blog again, its seams an alternate 060 fpga now so probably wont be a heat issue at all.:)
Is there any heat issues at all with fpga chips running at high clock speeds?

It's possible to fit an 060 into a system designed for an 040, but harder the other way around. I have looked at this, and we will not target the 040 at the moment as it would compromise the 060 design.

The latest revision of the 060 runs cooler than the earlier ones.
FPGAs can get quite hot, but not with the sort of stuff we are doing here.

So, current design targets are

1 - baseboard FPGA CPU improvements. (x4-x8 on current performance)
2 - 060 on daughter board
3 - experimental CM3 (ARM) on daughter board

in the future
Spartan7 FPGA on next-gen baseboard.

x4-x8 on the current TG68k?

That would put it at a 060 50mhz perf level no?

You will still miss fpu and mmu though, so most of the stuff that needs a fast cpu will not work anyway.
With that said it's super cool that it might be speeded up! big_smile

If there is 5v available somewhere, I would like to make a 060 to 040 socket adapter with the proper signal level shifters and core voltage change.

Don't mean to sound like a broken record :-) regards the daughter board. When, when and when.  :-) Thanks for all your wonderful hard work regardless of my impatiences. :-)

Hi.
I plan to add an MMU to the softcore as well.

So, everybody is asking about timescales... This month is horrendous with real (paying) work. NAB, a big broadcast show is on in the US and I am finishing some contract work, and the ASIC design I am working on needs to be closed this week.

I've been working every spare minute. This is also why there was a big push to ship all the remaining boards last month and I took time to sort out my office ahead of the new hardware.

The daughterboard schematic is done (some review and feature creep is still happening). Layout is about 60% done, so I need about a week of focused work to get it finished. The RTL changes to make it work are mostly done.

I have the board connectors already in China and quotes for all the semiconductors.

My production partner is doing a test build with my ATX control boards next week.

I realize I haven't answered the question, but in the next two weeks I expect to commit the the PCB production.

Let me know when you will be available at NAB.  I am only 2 hours away from Las Vegas (typically where NAB is), so maybe we can meet in person.

That would be awesome, except I'm too busy to go this year sadly - just sending software. Two of my colleagues are going instead. Probably a good thing really as I just hang out in the MGM hotel bar, and it's not terribly productive smile

Thanks for the update Mike. I truly appreciate all that you guys do for the Amiga community.

Just wondered if any news on daughter board with 060 socket?

Right, the boards have been waiting for parts for some time. I've found some alternative sources now and should have the bits in the next week. I'll prop over to China in the next couple of weeks hopefully and bring them back.

All parts have arrived or are on order. One part (the USB controller) is tricky but still hoping this will arrive on time.
I'm flying to China 28th June to get the boards as part of a work trip, so we will have them in Sweden for testing first week July. \o/

Is there any documentation on how to setup the daughter board?  I plugged mine in with the 68060 and it still shows the 68020.  I assume that I have to change some ini settings.  But there's no documentation on this that I can find.  Now that the daughter board is available, shouldn't we get some documentation on how to set it up?

oh crap you need to be on slack and have access to the git repository.
Moving public as fast as possible
You need to run a different core. Email me!