Topic: VIC-II talk

As I am slowly entering the interesting parts of the VIC-II, it makes sense to have a sub-topic on this part as well and discuss specific details here.

Now I started looking for some test/demo examples focussing on this part of the C64. Any PRG or D64 files are welcome, if sourcecode with comments is included, it would be even better wink

Thanks a lot!

/WoS

Re: VIC-II talk

This guy reverse-engineered some of the VIC-II internals. It also includes some explanation from Bob Yannes.

http://www.pepto.de/projects/colorvic/

Sorry for the repost if you already knew about it smile

Good stuff, thanks!  big_smile

/WoS

The VICE repository has a wealth of test programs used to verify various emulation details:

http://sourceforge.net/p/vice-emu/code/ … testprogs/

Very nice resource, MagerValp! I guess many of these programs are meant to be used for manual testing? Some routines would probably offer ways of automated verifications. Maybe we could implement such verifications either inside the FPGA iteself, via the ARM or externally via the serial port?

That's really great stuff! Thanks a lot, MagerValp!

I was aware of the VICE sources, but never noticed their test setups. They are even pre-compiled and ready for use!
  big_smile big_smile big_smile

As I want to use it for debugging, I hope I can contribute a little later on with additional tests - but that will be really hard when looking what they already did, really amazing...

/WoS

Agreed, great test resource!

Maybe Toni Wilen has something similiar for UAE?

Michael Steils talk about the VIC-II is very informative about the function and structure of it and why they made the chip like it is because of the given constraints at that time.

You can watch it on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQMfq6AkLew

It has one disadvantage that the talk is in german

It is really a good summary, especially for programmers of the VIC (it is less useful for hardware implementation itself).

The first hour is an explanation of the standard functions of the VIC-II, very good for beginners, including the limitations they faced that time, as you said. All of this talk you will find also on detailed descriptions e.g. like these on zimmers.net and helps understanding them better...

The last ~20min he presents a lot of possible VIC hacks and how they "look like". This was the more interesting part, unfortunately he didn't go too much into details there and focussed only on programming the VIC (especially badline and hyperscreen tricks). I would have wished he took only 20min on the first part and 1hour on the second wink

/WoS

Fixed a nasty bug that interrupts at raster line 0 didn't work. Quite some demos/intros in front of games used that and simply caused crashes. With this fix, a lot more games will work now. big_smile

/WoS