Topic: Any chance of Apple][GS Support?

I would like it just for the 65816 implementation.

Re: Any chance of Apple][GS Support?

There is an apple_ii checked in, need to go through with Wolfgang and update/release some of this stuff. What do you want to do with the 65816 out of interest?

Well, the ][GS was the only Apple I ever lusted after. I went Amiga after my C= 8 bit days.
SNES emulation would be awesome too.

But I really want to eventually make my own Commodore 128 decedent.

I'm just beginning to to teach myself VHDL, and Verilog, so this is a pipe dream, and I have no clue if and HOW I could achieve this.

But, here is my dream.

I want a true 65816 implementation in FPGA not just for a speed boost that could be pushed out on a modern FPGA, but I want an MMU on steroids so we not only get the full 16MB address space of the 65816, but can bank switch multiple 16MB banks the same way the C=128, and the theoretical C=256 used to with their 64K.
With real, modern, high speed memory in something like an SODIMM or regular DIMM, (I need to research the best speed and affordability, We could have a 256MB Commodore inspired machine.
I always hated the fact that so much IO space was wasted on the Commodores with 256 byte IO blocks of each chip just being repeated by mirrored  registers. So I want to consolidate the IO space, with an MMU type solution mapping the legacy IO for compatibility with old 8 bit software, or even the ][GS chips. Instead of the SID chip just being repeated in it's IO block, what if the whole block had multiple "Soft" SIDS, plus other sound devices, and the end of the block had some kind of register controlled mixer.
I'm hoping the Mega65 project's VIC III can be incorporated, as well as other improvements intended to be on the Commodore 65.

I might also have a comparably updated decendant of the Z80.

I'm just a giant nerd fan of the Commodore 128 architecture, which I know a lot of people hated. But not me. :-D

I don't want to use a REAL 65816 though, because I'm hoping to push the clock speed beyond what a real chip can handle.

I'm wondering if I can write a version of python and a form of Linux to run as things boot environment. Instead of coming up into BASIC and banging the hardware, you would boot into Python with all the chips addressed as through included libraries.

That way it would really capture the feel of the old Commodores incentive to learn to program, but in a more modern environment that would translate to today's more object oriented programming environment. Still giing you the option to bang the virtual "metal" if needed.

I know the FPGA Arcade doesn't have a hope in hell of pulling this monstrosity off, but it's a nice platform for me to learn and experiment on while still enjoying all my old retro favorites. I already have a cool mini ITX case all ready for it, and the idea of a new little Amiga AGA/060 machine takes me back to when I was lusting for something like that for my animation.

I know this post really doesn't belong in the "Apple" forum anymore, but the ][GS was the only home computer I know of that actually ran on a 65816.

As you know the SuperCPU add-on for the C64 had a 65816.  There are plenty of emulations supporting this chip, and I would not be surprised if there was one already in VHDL.  You might want to check the forums over at 6502.org, where there are plenty of discussions about the 65816.

JimDrew wrote:

As you know the SuperCPU add-on for the C64 had a 65816.  There are plenty of emulations supporting this chip, and I would not be surprised if there was one already in VHDL.  You might want to check the forums over at 6502.org, where there are plenty of discussions about the 65816.

Cool. Thanks. I'm looking around. :-D

MikeJ wrote:

There is an apple_ii checked in, need to go through with Wolfgang and update/release some of this stuff. What do you want to do with the 65816 out of interest?

Mike, the code is from Stephens Apple II project ( http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~sedwards/apple2fpga/ ) we have the permission to use (thanks again Stephen!). I updated for a fully synchronous design (I sent the changes back to him as well), what is missing is the adoption to the replay framework.

/WoS

Great - you checked in your changes?

8 (edited by WoS 2016-08-06 16:08:17)

Yes, all in. Including build and simulation scripts. Nicely shows booting up.

But it does not show any video yet:
Just missing the video and keyboard connection to the replay lib to get it up and running.

edit: hmm, just checked and may need some update to the latest replay lib to compile again..

/WoS

Go go go! big_smile Will be fun to test!