Re: Server move to support SVN

No prob :-)
From my first reading, i wanted to tell that the base library for the FPGArcade is amazing.
Good Job !

Thanks. Wolfgang fixed my mistake in the script ....
So, first thing for anybody to try is compiling the Loader core. From a Xilinx ISE DOS window you can run build.bat
I prefer using the scripts to the IDE, easier to source control.
/Mike

Just made some additional updates to have links back to the main website and this forum as well...
Eveything still pretty basic, but I think the content is important not the font colours wink

/WoS

I managed to update the script again without breaking it this time.

I forgot the build script in Loader.
I've checked out the public repository locally (recommend TortoiseSVN under windows) and ran a compile of Loader.

To do this :

Run up a xilinx ISE command prompt 
start menu : xilinx design tools/ise design suite.../accessories/ise design suite 32/64 command prompt
(or normal command prompt if your environment is set up correctly)

From the repository root :

cd hw\replay\cores\loader
build

It should take just a few mins to compile with no timing errors. Log attached from my build.
(WIKI pages are coming on the main website)
/Mike

Post's attachments

loader_log.txt 564.26 kb, 2 downloads since 2015-06-04 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

I just noticed that there is a "loader.bin" file in the C64/SDCARD folder as well as the normal LOADER folder.  Is this normal?

You will notice it is named that way in all the sdcard folders you can see there, this is the same as on the developers SVN (never was different).

You can rename it any way you like as long as you also change the loader line in the INI file.

/WoS

This is probably my fault, "loader.bin" was hard wired in the original script. I have fixed this in some of the other designs. WoS, perhaps we should change it to be c64.bin to avoid confusion?
/Mike

58 (edited by JimDrew 2015-06-05 14:18:01)

Yeah, it would probably make sense to name each core as what they are.

Jim, the core are named individually, by their directory name and their INI file name, this are the only files of importance for users (and visible for the core selection in the loader). The rest is keeping all files in one directory, which should be easy to manage for everyone.

Maybe it is worth to mention that this is a mirror of the "bare metal" development tree with all actual changes, it is not a ready packed and tested source for delivery. So the confusion has nothing to do with this filename, but what this SVN contains?  As it is updated over night, it simply can happen that versions are released which are broken.

So I would not even start to let it look like something one can just use without using some thoughts (and some proper testing). As it says at the entry: use at your own risk. If it is not of use this way and confuses people, I would even spare SVN space and don't even include the sdcard content at all except the INI files, as everyone can build it now by himself, as the idea was to release the development sources.

I will nevertheless continue to pack and test releases with some programs and post it on the forum for people who do not want to bother about all the details. These will then have proper naming as well (including the version number) and I avoid mixing it up with developer files - which is significantly more important to avoid confusion (because I know if one is using a proper and initially tested release I set up or just the SVN from any date with even maybe some modifications).

Btw, renaming would break my global make script for my projects. It expects that the work products and build scripts are named the same way and located in the same directories per project.

/WoS

I think having the .bin files all called "loader.bin" will be confusing... it is to me, which is why I brought it up.  Some people may not want to use separate directories for all of their cores, in which case this would never work if the cores had the same names.

61 (edited by WoS 2015-06-08 17:16:22)

My deliveries I post (see here e.g. for the C64: http://www.fpgaarcade.com/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=364) can be properly distinguished even by the SVN version and changes are documented. Other files like ROMs may start to mix up (which can easily happen e.g. with arcade game cores) - this is the reason why separate core directories are a must (beside the fact that large directories slow down the reader as well and sooner or later you won't be able to sort anything out when putting all ini files of several cores in one directory instead of maintaining a minimal hierarchy).

Again, I assumed this is the development repository to share the latest sources, not to release binaries. It will definitely happen that the bins there do not work properly at all, if one fetches them just within some rework phase (I am working on different sites and also use the repository as common source between them not to miss anything). Sources could be even newer than those binaries as well (in case the new build didn't work out with the actual sources). It is not intended to use them "as is". It is the same as with experimental builds in (m)any other projects out there, there is some reason behind why these are often published separately in a file area instead of using the repository as well...

I removed the bins from the mirrored sdcard folder, so no one gets confused now (also noone can just take something not properly tested in WIP state and start complaining about it, which I am certain would be the next issue coming up with such a delivery channel...). So the problem is solved, thanks for bringing it up!

Edit: just added some readme.txt explaining the content of the repository and how to set up own builds...

/WoS

Just to post , i updated SVN and beeing able to compile all public core ( either the last pushed Pacman ).

All is perfect , SVN & compile all cores !

Great, thanks for the feedback big_smile

/WoS

I had an attempted break-in a few days ago (I caught them in the act), and a flat near got turned over yesterday.
I've been updating and moving the servers to lower the risk of everything going down. This is done now, but let me know if you have any hassle with SVN etc.

Glad you escaped. Having been on the receiving end of that several times I can say it's not much fun... You got cameras, visible alarms and security lights? If nothing else it's fun to watch the videos of people breaking into your house and faceplanting on the concrete floor.