1 (edited by WoS 2013-09-05 12:34:56)

Topic: Howto: Replay board updates (only for OLD boards w/o SDCARD flasher)

0) Background:

The replay board consists of a configurable FPGA and an ARM based micrcocontroller.

While the FPGA is set via the SDCARD .bin files as defined in core .ini files (and thus any Replay core is just "updated" by copying the latest files on the card), the ARM microcontroller has to be set up using a different process.

This might be needed to support newer features required by FPGA .bin files (communicating with the ARM), or for .ini file handling in general (coping with core configurations and the OSD menu).

This board update method requires a Windows PC with an USB port, but luckily it has to be done only once (ONLY in case the SDCARD method does not yet work with your firmware version on your Replay board).

Afterwards, firmware can be uploaded using the Replay App via SDCARD only, see here:
http://www.fpgaarcade.com/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=182

This tool also updates the ARM bootloader (the very first piece of code enabling the ARM flash as such), so it is not required to separately flash the bootloader (as described in the HOWTO for VERY OLD boards) as long as this method works...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Prerequisites:

* an actual Replay Rev1.0b board with new USB bootloader.
   If this procedure does not work, you need just once a different flash procedure found here:
            http://www.fpgaarcade.com/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=281 )
   Again, please also check the SDCARD method first:
            http://www.fpgaarcade.com/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=182
            (if it works, you can stop reading about this method here)
* an USB-A/PC to Micro-USB cable (one from your camera,
   card reader, smartphone, ... etc. should be fine)
* a Windows PC (XP or newer, tested "up to" Win7 64bit)
* patience - e.g. do not unplug or power cycle the board during
   an upload procedure if there is no immediate progress seen... mad
* download and unpack the attached ZIP file (checked for virus with actual AVIRA software),
   take care the directory structure is kept on unpacking (!) 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) Procedure:

* switch the Replay board off, do not connect anything yet
* start the "replay_update.bat" file (e.g. by double-click in the
   windows file explorer) as found in the unpacked
   "Replay_Update" directory
* follow the instructions showing up on screen, these are:
    1: If the board is on, switch it off first
    2: Connect a micro USB cable between board an PC
    3: Then hold the replay menu button down and switch board on
    4: The board will be detected (no rush!), then download starts
        (the first time it may happen that the batch file stops w/o any flashing, in this case
         switch the board off, start the batch file again and and go back to step 3:)
    5: Release the menu button when you see the DL indicator dots
    6: Wait until upload is finished and the window with the flasher disappears
    7: The board will automatically reboot after a few seconds
* finally, enjoy the cores from your sdcard again big_smile

3) Remarks:

NO special USB driver is needed, as the bootloader registers as HMI device which is supported by the OS by default. You also do not need BOSSA or SAM-BA installed, any plain Windows PC (XP and up) with USB ports will do.
We have the sources of the downloader - it should be in principle possible to support Linux or MacOS as well. Any USB driver/system expert on such systems interested in volunteering for porting the bootloader, please stand up... roll

Post's attachments

Replay_Update_22mar2015.zip 213.31 kb, 50 downloads since 2015-03-22 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
/WoS

Re: Howto: Replay board updates (only for OLD boards w/o SDCARD flasher)

I keep getting this;

No device connected, polling for it now...
Fixing bootloader...
bad: got at 0000000d, expected at 00000000

I followed the bossa guide and it verifies ok.
I then followed this guide, but it always gives this error.

Odd. When you followed the bossa guide, you put the link on P11 to erase the ARM, then programmed the bootloader with BOSSA?
Sure you have the correct bootloader (replay_loader_v1.2/bootrom.bin in SVN 20/10/2013)
/Mike

I assume you see the first line (the polling message), the other lines appear as soon as you switch on the Replay, right?

If yes, I would assume the bossa run was fine and the USB gets initialised. If you took the bin file I attached to the bootloader/Bossa howto, it is the right version and should work properly.

Please try to remove the bootrom.bin file in the FW directory of this package here, then try again.  Basically, fixing the bootloader it is not needed if you did the BOSSA step before (as this installed the bootloader already - although it should not make any difference).

Just out of curiosity: what setup are you using?
PC/Notebook/...? 
XP/Win7/...?   Which service pack?
Running direct or on VM?
Do you have any special HID driver installed (special keyboard, mouse, joystick...?)

I suspect a possible USB/driver conflict/issue and would like to track it down to fix or detect it properly... Thanks!

/WoS

5 (edited by am1ga4ever 2014-05-25 11:47:59)

wolfgang wrote:

I assume you see the first line (the polling message), the other lines appear as soon as you switch on the Replay, right?

If yes, I would assume the bossa run was fine and the USB gets initialised. If you took the bin file I attached to the bootloader/Bossa howto, it is the right version and should work properly.

Please try to remove the bootrom.bin file in the FW directory of this package here, then try again.  Basically, fixing the bootloader it is not needed if you did the BOSSA step before (as this installed the bootloader already - although it should not make any difference).

Just out of curiosity: what setup are you using?
PC/Notebook/...? 
XP/Win7/...?   Which service pack?
Running direct or on VM?
Do you have any special HID driver installed (special keyboard, mouse, joystick...?)

I suspect a possible USB/driver conflict/issue and would like to track it down to fix or detect it properly... Thanks!

Hi,

Dont have FPGA arcade with me at the moment
I believe I did remove the bootrom.bin and had same issue.

Im using a PC, Windows 8.1 Pro MCE 64Bit, Direct.
HID;
I have a wireless usb bluetooth Logitech Mouse and Keyboard,
XBOX360 wireless controller,
Other than that I spose the usual mass storage;
Apple and android and a few card readers.

6 (edited by WoS 2014-05-25 12:04:01)

Oh, that's bad. Sounds that M$ changed the HID USB API... I can't test with Win 8.1, lacking such a setup (well, I got a Win8 DVD with my latest PC, but I decided not to spend my time for unpaid beta testing and stay on the stable Win7 setup - I usually do this until at least SP2 or higher for the next OS is available sad ).

Maybe there is a kind of compatibility mode similar to Win7 Pro? Or maybe you have the chance to grab a Win XP (up to) Win 7 PC from a friend and try it there? The updater will run from an USB stick as well, no installation is needed. Another way would be just using a XP live CD or so. This step is required only once, as soon as there is an actual firmware on the board, a PC is no longer required for updates...

Edit: Just to check every possiblility: could you connect the board via USB, switch it on while pressing the button on the board and check in the Windows hardware manager how the board is detected (what shows up in the HW listing for this board)? You need to keep the button pressed, as the board would otherwise leave the USB mode after several seconds without activity.

/WoS

The 360 wireless dongle has caused me issues in the past with other devices (USB to 16 Port RS232 Edgeport if it matters), simply unplug and reboot fixed the issue

8 (edited by ost 2014-05-27 14:53:45)

I have similar issue on Win7 pro x64:
---
No device connected, polling for it now...
Fixing bootloader...
bad: got at 00000004, expected at 00000000
---

Usb gets detected as "USB Input Device", hardware ID:
USB\VID_9AC5&PID_4B8F&REV_0001
USB\VID_9AC5&PID_4B8F

The upgrade procedure is a bit unclear, do I, or do I not have to do "2)" if I did the procedure at http://www.fpgaarcade.com/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=281 first? Or can I just put the bootrom.bin in the CF's root?

EDIT:Changed HID, the mouse and kbd seems to get the same name in the list, so I had to tweak around to find the correct one.
EDIT2:I should add that the error message appears as the USB is plugged in, so apparently it seems to detect it
EDIT3:Solved.. Deleting the bootrom.bin under FW did the trick.. Sorry for not reading all first tongue

ost wrote:

The upgrade procedure is a bit unclear, do I, or do I not have to do "2)" if I did the procedure at http://www.fpgaarcade.com/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=281 first? Or can I just put the bootrom.bin in the CF's root?

Yes. The link you mention provides the method to install exactly this bootrom.bin file via BOSSA, which is the "first level" bootloader for the ARM.

The procedure in this post here works only if this very bootloader is installed first. But it also tries to update this bootloader again, which is not needed (as it is already actual). Removing the file solves this problem. So this step only installs the "second level" ARM firmware.

--> I updated the ZIP in here and renamed by ..._noBL, so it should not cause troubles anymore.

But the hint from cunnpole is very valuable as well (thanks!). So if you encounter problems with this flashing procedure, also check what HID devices you have connected (especially joysticks, tablets etc. emulating a HID device - but also a fancy="non standard" keyboard/mouse could cause troubles)...

/WoS

Hi! I'm at last trying to use my board from 2011. It's a 1.0b board.
The problem is that instructions to update old boards seem to revolve around Windows bat files and I don't have a Windows machine, nor do I know anybody who could be bothered to allow me using one: after years or hard work I got everybody I know to jump into the Linux wagon (Lubuntu(with capital L!!)/Debian) and never looked back.
I can do whatever it takes, using the commandline or building software. But please, tell me how to update my board without have to use that dreaded sub-OS...
In the past, I've used SAM-BA for Linux to update Minimig V1.1 ARM board. Could a similar thing be done with the replay board?
And... can I have SVN access for binaries, Mike?

thanks!

Of course Vanfanel, I thought I had done you. Can you ping me an email so I have your current contact details?

You can use SAM-BA to reflesh with the new bootloader. If you have no other option, we can probably build an image which has the bootloader + current software.

Be very careful with the USB connector - the early boards do not have any glue around. If you do glue, make sure not to glue the cable it. I made up a cable using the 5 pin header next to the USB connector, it's standard "PC" pinout.
/Mike