1 (edited by WoS 2014-01-13 00:09:22)

Topic: Technical (project) overview for the CPLD-DIL board

I did add this topic here to replace the information found on Mikes old web page and to show the development status of this setups.

This board is designed to exactly replace low-complexity digital (custom) ICs in an (up to) 28pin DIL package, mainly in the arcade/coin-op domain.

The active device is an Altera EPM7032STC44-10 CPLD. It is a high performance 5 Volt programmable device, containing 32 macrocells and will run up to 100 MHz.

These devices can be programmed with Alteras Quartus (or older MAX+PLUS) tools. Verilog and VHDL can be used for development. To get one of this boards, please contact Mike for further information.

This replacement projects are available (copyright owners in brackets):
---------------------------------------------------
  Namco 00xx (Mike)
  Namco 02xx (Adam)
  Namco 03xx (Adam)
  Namco 04xx (Mike)
  Namco 05xx (Wolfgang)
  Namco 06xx (Wolfgang)
  Namco 07xx (Mike)
  Namco 08xx (Mike)
  Namco 11xx (Mike)
  Namco 12xx (Mike)
  Namco 13xx (Mike)
  Namco 34xx (Mike)
  Konami 082 (Arnim)
  Konami 083 (Arnim)
  Konami 501 (Arnim)
  Konami 502 (Arnim)
  Konami 503 (Arnim)
  Module on Gallag/green board (Mike)
  Pacman Syncbus 285 (Mike)
  Pacman Vram address 284 (Mike)
  C64 PLA (Arnim)

Please contact me or reply here if you know further projects not on this list.

/WoS

Re: Technical (project) overview for the CPLD-DIL board

hello!  i recall from a few years ago that there was a list of customs ready for sale and i thought it was the fpgaarcade site - and at the time i was interested in a development on a time pilot custom ic replacement...

am i in the right place ?

Yes absolutely. I have some CPLD based boards which can replace some Konami/Namco devices.
I forgot I had not moved across the old website ....

thats good news!  lookin forward to the old content too.  the replay board has me intrigued smile

Moved the posts here to the CPLD thread. On top you can see at least the existing projects for this board, which is already more than the list on the old web page wink

Mike, I can attach the pinout etc. you had on your old web site here as well, then all info including updates is available again? Or do you prefer the web page apparoach?

/WoS

6 (edited by andykmv 2014-10-02 23:31:56)

i wouldnt mind seeing the old html pages - even if they are setup temporarily as a direct url

I'll cut and paste the old html page onto the main site, and we can link to it from here.

I've been working on the Atari 'Slags' Chip using my own designs of 28 pin module / CPLD carrier, so far it seems to be working well on Gauntlet and passes the diagnostics tests, but have yet to test multiples on the likes of Road Blasters and other boards which will really exercise them. I had some significant help with the VHDL code based on the schematics I pulled together but found a couple of bugs in the vhdl  and managed to solve them with my limited editing skills.  I have made 2 versions so far, one being a 3.3v I/O chip and another with 5v parts... Both seem to work so far, but not compared back to back with the real IC's...  Thanks go to Wolfgang for his help with the 5v parts suggestions.  It fits in a 64 macro cell design.

Hi! I've been trying to repair an old Konami Track and Field board for a while now. I've fixed a couple of boards before, but I'm still a beginner. I think I've tracked the problem to a faulty custom Konami 502 chip on the corner of the board. The outputs from this chip are all stuck high or low, but the input lines all pulse nicely.

I'm having problems tracking down a replacement for this chip. Is it be possible to buy a CPLD replacement for my faulty 502?

Many thanks!

Yes, there exists an implementation, made for this CPLD board by Arnim.

@Mike, do you have a board left to set it up?

/WoS

Yup, drop me a mail.
mikej at fpga... dot com

Thanks Mike, I sent the email.

Are these still available? I've got a Gyruss with a bunk Konami 082 Custom that I need to resurrect.

This should be possible, best is to send Mike a mail (see above).

/WoS

15 (edited by Nes4life 2017-10-23 10:34:18)

Big thanks to @MikeJ for making two Namco customs for me (34 and 04) so I could resurrect my copy of Pacland. The original 34 (at position 7A on Pacland) is awful on all the pcbs I’ve seen; really black brittle legs. I expect to get more of these made in future!

Check out the write up on UKVAC:
http://www.ukvac.com/forum/topic357426_ … ml#1015628

Thanks for the feedback!

Pacland <3 I used to have that pcb!