Topic: daughter-board questions?

with the 68060 daughter-board will we be able to use with other cores other than amiga core, say for example Atari or maybe even apple mac core if was is made?

Re: daughter-board questions?

Again I will answer based on nothing but bad guesses, but anyway here goes: A core can freely decide which features of the expansion board it wants to use if any. Therefore the 060 can be active or passive depending on what the core asks for.

The above is likely the case. Other cores like Atari Falcon would love to use the 060, while the C64 would rather play with a soft CPU. Hopefully it is possible to disable the 060 if it is not used, but for that I cannot even guess.

Just like the Mac, I am sure it would require some significant patching and running with Superscalar mode off to run the 060 with the GEM OS.

or just use shapeshifter via amiga core

5 (edited by JimDrew 2014-03-15 19:40:19)

You could use FUSION with the Amiga core, which is faster (and more stable) than Shapeshifter - but we are talking about the Atari TT/Falcon 68060 compatibility.  smile

Is there any way we can use more than one expansion board on the Arcade Replay?

Not at the same time.

Any news on daughter board final revision, price and specifications if changed?

Any chance of space for extra RAM on a daughterboard?  A FPGA Arcade Replay with an overclocked 68060, 3 USB ports, a network port and 2 RAM slots would be the Most Awesome Classic Amiga of All Time.

I know I'm probably asking for too much, but if you don't ask ...

Three USB ports supported with Poseidon stack, Ethernet, 128MB of RAM (may increase), RTC.
Processor can be run at 113MHz, assuming you get a good one.

Ok. It's already the Most Awesome Classic Amiga of All Time, and may become even more Awesome smile

Just need to get it made. I wanted to get to a stable core with RTG first, and we are just about there now.

Once the expansion board made, would it take long to be able to use the onboard 68060?

The code is already done. It requires modification to the main core, but it's quite simple.

ok... looks like this can go very fast with the RTG almost done and everything \o/

@MikeJ, you said the 128 MB of RAM may increase.  How much might it increase to?  Is there any chance of a slot for a standard RAM stick?  I keep dreaming of running Amiga OS 3.1 & 3.9 with 2 GB of RAM ...

I'll look into it.

The OS is able to handle more than 256mb? big_smile

I'm pretty certain that both Amiga OS 3.1 and 3.9 support up to 2 GB of RAM (though, I admit, I haven't managed to find documentary evidence for this, to my embarrassment).

However, even if that isn't right (which I'm near-certain it is), AROS Vision (the 68K version of AROS) certainly does, and that will run on the FPGA Arcade Replay, and will run even better with large amounts of RAM smile

Thanks for looking into it Mike smile

The Amiga OS should be able to support the entire 32 bit memory region.

Well, nice then! This OS always amaze me big_smile

I've recently tried to listen MP3 on my 1260 and honestly, damn this was so cool ^^

Speaking of which, we have a nice 24 bit 192KHz DAC. I can add a new DMA channel to drive this, but I'm told AHI is not great. Any other ideas to use the new audio?

23 (edited by JimDrew 2015-11-12 01:10:27)

AHI is just an interface system that lets you hook in audio for applications that support it.  I supported it with my various emulations, but nobody really ever used it because you needed an audio board which were expensive and relatively rare.  I think supporting AHI today would be waste of your resources because there were not that many programs that supported it.

I've already written the extra DMA controller - it's pretty simple.

25 (edited by cunnpole 2015-11-12 08:51:38)

There are quite a few apps/games that use it, most are cross platform ports but there are a few amiga specific titles too. If its not much pain to support it then please do.