Re: daughter-board questions?

Can somebody help write a driver? There are a couple of registers only so should be trivial.

I guess my definition of "quite a few" is probably a lot different than yours.  I would be that there are fewer than 100 actual programs that supported AHI (probably far less than that).  Considering there were tens of thousands of commercial programs, and who knows how many other shareware/open source programs, the ratio is extremely small.  It would be nice to support, but I think the cache implementation is far more important.

28 (edited by gouky 2015-11-12 15:45:18)

I agree with Jim... (I would even put the cache in front of the RTG to my taste).

The core is in a very nice state with all the recent fixes but a speed boost would be more than welcome. Also I'm not sure we would benefit from the AHI support if the CPU is not able to run the open source program at a decent frame/execution rate.

Once the AHI system is installed, it's just a matter of calling the library functions for playing audio samples, setting rates, etc.  Like I said, I supported AHI with my emulations, so I have all of the source code for doing it.  We would just need to create an AHI board driver that the AHI system can call.

The library calls are pretty simple:

_LVOAHI_AllocAudioA             EQU    -42
_LVOAHI_FreeAudio               EQU    -48
_LVOAHI_KillAudio               EQU    -54
_LVOAHI_ControlAudioA           EQU    -60
_LVOAHI_SetVol                  EQU    -66
_LVOAHI_SetFreq                 EQU    -72
_LVOAHI_SetSound                EQU    -78
_LVOAHI_SetEffect               EQU    -84
_LVOAHI_LoadSound               EQU    -90
_LVOAHI_UnloadSound             EQU    -96
_LVOAHI_NextAudioID             EQU    -102
_LVOAHI_GetAudioAttrsA          EQU    -108
_LVOAHI_BestAudioIDA            EQU    -114
_LVOAHI_AllocAudioRequestA      EQU    -120
_LVOAHI_AudioRequestA           EQU    -126
_LVOAHI_FreeAudioRequest        EQU    -132
_LVOAHI_PlayA                   EQU    -138
_LVOAHI_SampleFrameSize         EQU    -144
_LVOAHI_AddAudioMode            EQU    -150
_LVOAHI_RemoveAudioMode         EQU    -156
_LVOAHI_LoadModeFile            EQU    -162

Gouky is right - you really need an 030+ to play most of the games that can use AHI.

Cache is next for sure.

I totally agree on priorities and also cpu requirements, however it would seem like a waste not to use the audio hardware to its full potential. Any idea how much cpu overhead would be required to play back cd quality wavs using this?

None, the DMA can pump it.

Nice!, we'll probably need the 060 for mp3 decoding though

Hate to be the one to point this out guys, but shouldn't AHI have it's own thread?  No-one will find it here except by accident ...

Back on topic - MikeJ, have you ever considered making a daughterboard with a slot for a PowerPC chip on it?  An Arcade Replay that could also run Amiga OS 4.x would be more than awesome, particularly if it had a real 68060 as well, and I suspect it would become the hardware of choice for Amiga NG users.  I don't imagine it would be cheap though.

By the way, that isn't my craziest idea.  I'm working up to the really crazy stuff ...

Should I take the long silence as a no?

Not with a PPC CPU no. I've worked with them a lot with embedded telco systems so it wouldn't be a problem to design one in, but I'm still thinking along the lines of a fast FPGA which goes in the 68060 socket.
/MikeJ

I like it smile smile

I like it a lot smile smile

Would this fast FPGA be used to implement a fast 68k core? Or PPC?

Or do you have other even more interesting plans for it?

Super fast 68K, possibly with MMU and FPU.

Very nice smile

Well, I wont suggest partnering with the Apollo dudes for a cpu expansion, but that could be a very quick way to realize something.

43 (edited by Belial6 2015-11-19 23:09:54)

So, how much faster of an FPGA would be feasible?  Does the replay use a slow FPGA?  Have FPGAs just gotten a lot faster since the design of the replay?  What is the cost/feature benefit of using a second FPGA as a CPU on a daughter board as opposed to using the fpga directly on the main board?

Not really a slow FPGA, but it is a fairly cheap one to keep the cost of the main board down. It's big and fast enough for what we want to do - except make fast CPUs really.

You can get a faster FPGA in the 40-50 USD region, so by the time you have built a module you would be up at the price of a real 68060 - but they could be mass produced. Not really prepared to guess performance at the moment.

I don't think I can add an MMU and FPU into the current design, it's getting a bit full with the RTG and new blitter.

45 (edited by NorthWay 2015-11-20 13:39:35)

Would love a Stratix 10 with 2G of very fast ram.

If I ever get to the front of the queue at Amedia I'd be willing to put up the money for an expansion like that.

EDIT: WTF am I thinking? If you make something as expensive as a Stratix 10 board then stopping at 2G makes no sense as it should be good for other purposes too that can make use of more memory.

So make it anything from 16G to 256G! The extra memory cost will drown anyway.

Apollo is getting 115mips (100mhz 060) currently out of a ep3c40f484c8n (40K LE). They expect to get a fair bit more out of that too. I keep hearing talk of allowing their core to be used by third parties for a fee, but no official word on when or what the cost might be.

Mike were you thinking of a drop in replacement for a real 060 slot? If so this could also give new life to existing 060 cards smile

That clears it up for me.  Thanks.

Even though I'm a bit late releasing the code, I'm fully in favour of open source and I will not be licensing a 3rd party CPU core.
I'm pretty sure we can do as well if not better.
Yes, looking at a drop in 060.

If you make it pin-for-pin compatible with a real 060, there's a possible market for it in for Classic Amiga accelerators.  At present, the best A1200 accelerator that's available is a 55 MHz 68030 from Individual Computers (https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/produkt- … A12xx.html), & that costs a mint.

68060s are just so hard to source.

68060s are very easy to source in China, I can get them for 1$ each (I have about 40 in a box here).

However, they are mostly 1 - remarked or 2 - duff

I've got a ZIF 68060 socket finally, so my idea is to put a board at the distributor in shenzhen and get them to screen for real chips of the most recent mask set.

The decent chips we have will run at over 100MHz no problem.