Re: Preparing an .HDF file

The size was 3950MB, which seems to be just small enough.

However, Total Commander still complins about "Error in packed file". (Only the smaller 200 MB 'boot' hdf worked.)

I just found this post:
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=953 … ostcount=4

which indicates that the AmigaDX plugin does not work at all for RDB formatted images.

Seems that the best option I found so far is using WinUAE, mounting the hdf as first hd and a normal windows folder as second, and then do a copy in CLI. However, doing this the copy command hangs (uninterruptable) at some point. This might just be because I have way too many subfolders in one folder. I will try again with a more hierarchical folder structure. This will always be a slow solution, though.

Has anyone tried using the AFFS driver for linux to mount such file? wink

Linux should work if I mess with the partition offset manually:

http://www.minimig.net/viewtopic.php?p= … 709c#p7484

I will try that next.

Would it help to add support for non RDB images? It's relatively simple for me to synthesis an RDB on the fly if necessary.
/Mike

It seems so.

For Windows, this would be the only possibility to inject files into hdf fast (AmigaDX seems to be able to detect RDB formats in some cases, but definitly not always)

For Linux, this would still save you from messing with the offsets.

Ok, I'll look at this shortly. I need to fix some ADF sector header stuff, so I can perhaps do it at the same time.

31 (edited by phluxx 2015-09-14 17:43:59)

Cool!

For the record,  I just read this about Linux ffs drivers:https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/filesystems/affs.txt

DOS\4        The original filesystem with directory cache. The directory
        cache speeds up directory accesses on floppies considerably,
        but slows down file creation/deletion. Doesn't make much
        sense on hard disks. Supported read only.

DOS\5        The Fast File System with directory cache. Supported read only.

Seems that
a) Linux will not help me fill my current hdf image due to directory cache being enabled
b) this "you should enable directory cache" in the linked howto is debatable

Maybe this dir cache is what made total commander throw an error in the first place..

Update: formatting (quick) without directory cache did not fix the total commander issue, so still a non-rdb hd file seems to be the way to go...

Mounting my 3950MB hdf worked without any issues under Ubuntu!

If someone needs to do the same:

- Format (quick) under Workbench with *directory cache disabled*
- get access to hdf file under linux, and do:

parted ./hardfile_amiga_games.hdf

(but with your filename)
in parted type

unit B

to display numbers in exact bytes, then type

print

you get something like

Pralloc = 0, Reserved = 2, blocksize = 1, root block at 4044978
Modell:  (file)
Festplatte  /media/philipp/FPGAARCADE/hardfile_amiga_games.hdf:  4141875200B
Sektorgröße (logisch/physisch): 512B/512B
Partitionstabelle: amiga

Nummer  Anfang   Ende         Größe        Dateisystem  Name  Flags
 1      258048B  4141799423B  4141541376B  affs1        RDH0  boot

Maybe not in German wink

type

q

to quit parted.

create a directory as mountpoint with something like

sudo mkdir /mnt/amiga

and finally mount your hdf there, while using the numbers from above.

sudo mount -t affs -o loop,offset=258048,sizelimit=4141541376 hardfile_amiga_games.hdf /mnt/amiga

when finished, unmount again:

umount /mnt/amiga

Faranheit wrote:

Hi Everblue,

You can have a look at our HDF creation guide HERE

Thanks, Lionel and Laurent
Amedia Computer

Laurent, I'm having problems following your guide for hdf creation, and in particular with the steps outlined in "Second step : Minimig’s board parameters." After creating and copying the RDB hardfile, and inserting the card in the FPGA Arcade, I can't access the menu as described.

Do I need to add the core files too? And of course, the guide was written for the old Minimig so I see little resemblance in the steps to follow.

I am trying to create a new microSD in which I could use a Classic Workbench 3.1 configuration that I'm using in WinUAE. Thanks in advance for any help.

FPGA Arcade in miniITX case, SAM460EX @1.15GHz, 2GB Memory, AOS4.1 FE, Radeon HD XFX R7 gfx card with Southern Islands. MorphOS 3.9 in Mac Mini G4 1.5GHz. Acer Aspire One with AROS Icaros Desktop 2.0.3

Hi Everblue,
You can have a look at our HDF creation guide HERE
Thanks, Lionel and Laurent
Amedia Computer

Thanks for that guide, it was very helpful.  However I experienced the following differences:

1 - When creating a hardfile in WinUAE I found I had to hit "Enable RDB Mode" AFTER I create the new hard disk image otherwise the option unselects itself.  This is with WinUAE 3.1.0 (2015.06.07).  So, type in the size in MB, hit Create to create the hardfile, THEN hit Enable RDP Mode.

2 - When creating the hardfile the guide shows the HD Controller option being set to UAE.  When I leave it at UAE, HD Toolbox (in Workbench 3.1) does not detected the hardfile.  I ended up choosing "IDE (Auto)" for an HD Controller type and HD Toolbox then detected the drive and I was able to partition/format.

3 - Your guide says not to format the partition or install the OS within WinUAE because it would not be usable on the Minimig.  FYI I did format and install Workbench 3.1 within WinUAE and the hardfile seems to boot fine on my FPGA Arcade.

Any comments welcome.  Hope this helps.

35 (edited by Kremlar 2015-10-26 23:49:17)

Laurent, I'm having problems following your guide for hdf creation, and in particular with the steps outlined in "Second step : Minimig’s board parameters." After creating and copying the RDB hardfile, and inserting the card in the FPGA Arcade, I can't access the menu as described.
Do I need to add the core files too? And of course, the guide was written for the old Minimig so I see little resemblance in the steps to follow.

I struggled with this myself. 

Although I now own a handful of Amigas that I toy with on occasion, I have not really USED the Amiga in decades.  My time is short and I remember very little about the ins and outs of the Amiga.  Most of my fun (and frustration!) has been getting the old machines I've collected back up and running again, fixing things, etc. - not actually using them.  Some day!!!

I've had my FPGA Arcade for quite some time now (I'm embarrassed to say how long), and only had time to start using over the past couple of days. 

With all that said, the information to get up and running is here on the forum but it's spread out all over the place and difficult to follow.  I think I'm going to start a thread detailing what I learn and when I learn it so that hopefully it will help others in my predicament. 

Anyway, on to your question.  Yes I believe you need the loader installed on your SD card.  I struggled with your same menu problem when initially trying to load the latest firmware.

In my root I have the following files:
- background.raw
- loader.bin
- loop.pcm
- replay.ini
- replay_PAL.ini

I also have a folder I called "amiga_aga" which contains the Amiga core.  In that folder I have the following files:
- kick_31.rom
- replay.ini
- replay_amiga.bin
- replay_amiga_pal.ini
- wb31.hdf (my system hardfile)
- work.hdf (my work hardfile)

Good luck!

Now, I have a question.  When booting the FPGA Arcarde and loading the Amiga core I am able to select a Master and Slave hardfile.  However, I can't seem to find a way to unselect a hardfile or switch to another one.  Once I select hardfiles they seem to be locked in place. 

What am I missing??

Nothing.  There is currently no way to unselect a hardfile.

This is deliberate. I can add a demount option if you wish - but it's quite hard to do safety. As this is "real" hardware, it's like pulling your hard disk out while the system is running. Not a great idea ....

I agree!

This is deliberate. I can add a demount option if you wish - but it's quite hard to do safety. As this is "real" hardware, it's like pulling your hard disk out while the system is running. Not a great idea ....

Thanks, I wasn't thinking of it as swapping it realtime, more of a "whoops I selected the wrong hardfile" or something.  So, is the correct procedure to reboot the FPGA Arcade then select a new hardfile?  Makes sense.

If your .ini file does not have a hardfile already set then you can do this.  Otherwise, any hardfile that is in the .ini file will be used.  The only way is to edit the .ini.

Mike/Wolfgang... a simple text editor would be a real handy option for the OSD!

Yeah, it's only been a few days and I'm already worried about wearing out the SD card socket!

43 (edited by AmigOS 2015-10-28 16:54:15)

Kremlar wrote:

Yeah, it's only been a few days and I'm already worried about wearing out the SD card socket!

I am using one of these http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo30/AmigOS923/SD%20card%20extender_zpseibgmq2k.jpg

that runs for about US$5. It gives me easy access from the front of my case, and the biggest advantage is that if it gets damaged, it only costs 5 bucks to replace. I keep a spare one just in case.

On a related issue, would it be possible for someone to post an updated, ste by step guide on how to setup a SD card with Workbench, of any flavor.

I have two microSD cards; one with Classic Workbench 3.1 and another with WB 3.9, and swapping them with the use of the card extension cable is not an issue.

FPGA Arcade in miniITX case, SAM460EX @1.15GHz, 2GB Memory, AOS4.1 FE, Radeon HD XFX R7 gfx card with Southern Islands. MorphOS 3.9 in Mac Mini G4 1.5GHz. Acer Aspire One with AROS Icaros Desktop 2.0.3

that runs for about US$5. It gives me easy access from the front of my case, and the biggest advantage is that if it gets damaged, it only costs 5 bucks to replace. I keep a spare one just in case.

Very cool.  I may get one to use, at least until things get more stable and I'm swapping less often.

On a related issue, would it be possible for someone to post an updated, ste by step guide on how to setup a SD card with Workbench, of any flavor.

I used the guide on post 12 of this thread, but made some comments about the process on post 34.  I thought about doing a guide but my time is so limited right now.  Since the FPGA Arcarde is still changing I'd hate to invest time in a guide and have it become outdated quickly.

If you have any questions please ask and I'll do my best to answer.

45 (edited by Kremlar 2015-10-28 17:35:31)

One situation I see:

I have multiple INIs for my Amiga core.  One for best performance with hardfiles mounted for standard workbench use.  Then I have other INI files for playing games from ADF - one using KS1.3 with A500-type settings, another using KS3.1 with A1200-type settings, etc...

If I'm using my Workbench INI with hardfiles mounted, then want to play a game I load my A1200 INI but it keeps the hardfiles mounted - which is not what I want.

So, when switching INIs it seems to keep any disks & hardfiles mounted by the previous INI.

Is there any way in an INI file to tell it you want NO hardfiles mounted, dismounting anything that is already mounted?

I know I can reboot the whole FPGA Arcade, so it's not a huge issue, just a thought...

One thing you can do is select a new ini file - if you go to "load target" and select a different amiga ini file, for example one with no hard drives mounted.

There is still a risk of corruption if there is a write in progress, but as the core is reset first it's probably safer.
Any other ideas are welcome.

One thing you can do is select a new ini file - if you go to "load target" and select a different amiga ini file, for example one with no hard drives mounted.

Hi -

Perhaps there's a bug then.  Sorry if I wasn't clear, but that was the purpose of my post - that's not the behavior I see.

If I load an INI with hardfiles mounted, then load an INI file with NO hardfiles specified the hardfiles from the first INI stay mounted.

Ah yes, thinking about it that is the case.
Floppys are persisted as well. Shall I make it demount all drives when a new ini file is selected?

Ah yes, thinking about it that is the case.
Floppys are persisted as well. Shall I make it demount all drives when a new ini file is selected?

I would think at least hardfiles should be dismounted, but maybe all disks.  I could see keeping floppies mounted because switching between INIs with the same floppy mounted might be helpful to troubleshoot compatibility.

Would it be possible to specify in the INI to dismount?

For example:
chb_mount = "wb3.1.hdf",0
..would mount a hardfile

#chb_mount = "wb3.1.hdf",0
..would act as it does now since the line is commented out (keep a disk mounted if already mounted)

chb_mount = dismount,0
..would specifically dismount any hardfile if already mounted

That way the user could decide the behavior?

Otherwise, if I had a choice I'd vote for dismounting all disks when switching INIs.

I think when you select a new ini file it should be like turning off/on the computer.