Re: Preparing an .HDF file

Hi wink

For WinUAE, in order to see the hardfile in HDToolBox, don't forget to change the device tooltype in the icon :
- Instead of scsi.device, use uaehf.device

On the contrary, on all FPGA clone, scsi.device must be used wink

Thanks, Laurent and Franck
Amedia Computer

Amedia Computer France
Site : [url]http://amiga.amedia-computer.com[/url]
Mail : laurent@amedia-computer.com

As I'm just trying to setup harddisks with PFS3 filesystem, I have a wish for a new feature:

Circumvent the FAT32 4Gig limitation by supporting hdf files split in 2 parts wink

Wow...that would be some work!

Really? I thought that should be easy. I just thought of a virtual block access layer on top of the file layer, which should be easily extended for two files. Maybe I am wrong...

However, I did not manage to use PFS3 yet (mainly due to lack of time). So this has no priority, even for me. But in the end, this would be great, as you can easily fill more than 4GB with WHDLoad content.

Actually, it would be really easy to split over two files - but I'm not sure there is a need for > 4G?

4GB is good but I've got 16GB worth of data on a partition on my A1200

You would have to maintain an upper level of the file system handler that checked for boundary crossing and accessed each file on the card individually.  This means having the ability to have multiple open files on the card at the same time.  Most FAT handlers do not support multiple open files, but I guess Replay's has to because of the multiple HDF and floppy capabilities.

I can have lots of files open - one of the advantages of using a decent embedded file system....
The driver could do this pretty easily, it knows the size of each file and can calculate the block offset.

A better solution is to allow raw block access to a partition though?

The problem with raw block access is that you could no longer read/write files using a PC at that point (no FAT32).  It certainly would be much faster to just pass block accesses back and forth between the Amiga and the card using the proper DOS driver (and file system handler on the Amiga side).  I would be happy with direct access and just using a 4GB card formatted in Amiga format.  You could then also use FFS3 and other file systems to access >4GB.  Again, this would be in Amiga format so unless you had a handler on the PC side that could read/write Amiga partitions, there would be no way to share files.

Has anyone manage to get amikit v8 or amikit real to work on fpga arcade with xram too?

What are these?

amikit is like workbench distro similar to amiga sys

amikit http://www.amikit.amiga.sk/

amikit real amiga http://real.amiga.sk/

amiga sys http://www.amigasys.com/

amiga sys real amiga http://amigasys.ultimateamiga.co.uk/amiga.html

classic workbench http://classicwb.abime.net/

examples

Think I am going try set up classic workbench 3.9 for now, has amiga sys and amikit need more resources and then picasso 96 classic workbench when rtg is released.

I am still stuck trying to make a PFS3 hard file working with Replay.

My current setup:
replay_amiga_21jul2015.zip from the release section of the website
slightly adjusted pal setup

200 MB FFS hardfile with workbench : booting fine standalone
3,99 GB (4.293.918.720 Bytes) PFS3 hardfile with games : wont work

The setup works fine under WinUAE. I created the hardfile in RDB mode and followed infos on the web how to
setup a PFS3 filesys.

With replay, the configuration UI overlay just hangs when trying to mount the game partition manually. When inserting the pfs3 partition in the ini file, core will not start at all.

pfs3 should work somehow, right?
Any ideas?

Can you connect the rs232 port so we can see the log?
(or you can compress and send me the hard file for debug)

66 (edited by JimDrew 2015-12-30 15:16:34)

Does the PFS3 driver require an 020 processor?  If so, it could be one of the broken 020+ instructions that is causing the problem.  It could also be fixed with the latest core that Mike has released that fixed the various issues with the movem instructions.  I would grab the latest core and try it.

Try the core in post 1,224 located here:

http://www.fpgaarcade.com/punbb/viewtop … 7462#p7462

67 (edited by phluxx 2015-12-30 16:25:46)

@Mike: I sent you an email

@Jim: Tested that, and it still makes Replay freeze in the same way. I also have problems to fully load my workbench with the new core, but this is probably because I also need a new ini file.. However, behaviour regarding my pfs3 hard file is unchanged.

(Also, it does not seem to happen because of Amiga is loading the driver. GUI freezes when I add the partition to an already running amiga. I would not expect the driver to be loaded until next reset.)

It is the AIO packaged version of the pfs3 driver by the way.

Thanks!!

Awesome ! You managed to crash the ARM during HDF parsing. That's pretty impressive.
I'll take a closer loop asap.

Interesting wink

As far as I unterstand, custom filesys drivers are written at the beginning of the Amiga harddisk. The pfs3 aio driver is quite big. Maybe you expect the actual partition (table?) data not that far from the beginning of the hdf?

Gave a quick try to PFS3 020 (not  the AIO package) and it works fine for me but only one hdf mounted with 3 partitions.

DBG:  POSTINIT (33343 bytes free)
DBG:  FCh:Insert Ch:1;Drive:0 : <\hardfile_amiga_boot.hdf>
DBG:  FCh:driver 8
DBG:  Drv08:InsertInit
INFO: Drv08:RDB OK
DBG:  index size 00000012 j 00040000
INFO: SIZE: 209715200 (200 MB)
INFO: CHS : 928.7.63
INFO:       --> 199 MB
INFO: Opened in 136 ms
DBG:  FCh:update status Ch:1 F1
DBG:  FCh:Inserted <hardfile_amiga_boot.hdf >
DBG:  FCh:Insert Ch:1;Drive:1 : <\amiga_games.hdf>
DBG:  FCh:driver 8
DBG:  Drv08:InsertInit
INFO: Drv08:RDB OK
DBG:  index size 00000016 j 00400000

The header looks correct (RDB is there) but it fails on indexing

Looks like a simple bug, it never escapes the index loop and goes round and round.
Although all the variables here are 32 bit, which is the max file size, the increment where it should jump out causes a wrap.
It works if I make the loop counter 64 bit. I'll build a new firmware version now.

Wow, this is really great, fast support. Thanks a lot!

Firmware update. This will be autocopied to the release area on public SVN also.

Stick it on an sd card, load target from OSD, go to the ini file and follow instructions.
Note....I found I had to power cycle it, R for reboot failed to start. I'll look at this.

edit .. see later post

This is my first Firmware update... what do I need to change in the ini to make it work with 30kHz?